Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
In AU they use this:

-Kathy

I am very mathematically challenged (I suck at math), but is this not the same as our Corid? I have found corid to be only minimally effective in my chicks once they get coccidia. The BBS breeds seem to get it the worst here. One breed in particular seems to have no innate resistance and without fail has to be treated. I bought the sulmet, but haven't tried it. Good to hear it works well. This morning at 10 am, in my hen house, it is 96 degrees and 80% humidity. Fans and misters are going and the majority of the chickens are out in the woods. Coccidia thrives it here.

Kathy, have you heard anything about Corid losing its effectiveness? It could be I have more strains than the average chicken keeper because of the environment.

I thought I read an article a couple months ago discussing increasingly morbid strains, but can't find it using my cell phone tonight.

I did, however, find this very interesting article:

Control of Poultry Coccidiosis
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3114971/#__ffn_sectitle

If you read thru it, it states that yes, resistance has and is developing to various treatments. There are some nutritional helps as well as treatment recommendations. I like this article a lot.

Dimethox is a medication similar to sulmet, may work a bit better. Make sure you are using enough corid - takes a higher concentration when there's an outbreak, not just the preventative dose. There can also be secondary infections in damaged intestines.
Good luck, hope this helps.@KsKingBee read the nutritional supplement info... you'll find it interesting, I think :)

Did you have before and after fecals done?

-Kathy
Well I worded that last post wrong, I meant it finished whatever else, besides coccidiosis, that was also ailing my birds. The Corid did it's job as well, But I think I will try Baycox next time as I read it takes 1 day and I lost a couple sick birds waiting for the corid to work. They went from laying around in corners to eating all their food in a couple hours, and flying out of their brooder etc.

Last edited:
Is the Corid sold for cattle the same as what is used for chicks? I have baby chicks that are 4 days old, all are healthy, active, eating, and drinking. However, it seems to me that their stools are somewhat loose. Not bloody, not frothy, not discolored, all have greenish brown semi-solid portion with small white caps. Every now and then I'll see a brownish puddle with no semi-solid and I'm paranoid it's atypical, but maybe could be Cecal poop?? But, I'm the paranoid type. What will cocci look like in chicks? 16 were vaccinated against cocci, but 6 were not, all were vaccinated against mareks, so even though I know the medicated feed will nullify the vaccine, I opted for the medicated feed to protect the chicks that aren't vaccinated. Should I give Corid just in case? Or will it matter since they're on medicated feed anyway? One chick this morning seemed listless but I think he got chilled because I bumped up the temp from 85 to 95 (I forgot to reset it after cleaning) and now he's just as active as the others. I'm going to give nutri-drench based on recommendation of another user.

Is the Corid sold for cattle the same as what is used for chicks? I have baby chicks that are 4 days old, all are healthy, active, eating, and drinking. However, it seems to me that their stools are somewhat loose. Not bloody, not frothy, not discolored, all have greenish brown semi-solid portion with small white caps. Every now and then I'll see a brownish puddle with no semi-solid and I'm paranoid it's atypical, but maybe could be Cecal poop?? But, I'm the paranoid type. What will cocci look like in chicks? 16 were vaccinated against cocci, but 6 were not, all were vaccinated against mareks, so even though I know the medicated feed will nullify the vaccine, I opted for the medicated feed to protect the chicks that aren't vaccinated. Should I give Corid just in case? Or will it matter since they're on medicated feed anyway? One chick this morning seemed listless but I think he got chilled because I bumped up the temp from 85 to 95 (I forgot to reset it after cleaning) and now he's just as active as the others. I'm going to give nutri-drench based on recommendation of another user.

Correction... I think I did just see a frothy brown loose poop. It was watery and had tiny bubbles. Could this be cocci even with medicated feed and vaccines?

Back
Top Bottom