Updated: Emergency: Found 4 month old Silkie down: Possible head injury

My silkie is doing a little better. I have kept him in the dark and been feeding him with a syringe. He is standing up. He still isn't opening his eyes. Later today I will be moving him into a cage and providing food and water to see if he will eat on his own. He clucked today also.

Still not sure what will happen with him.

You can try a little poultry nutri drench vitamin in his water...may give him a little strength....fingers crossed for the little guy...
I didn't have nutri drench, but did add some RoosterBooster electrolytes and vitamins to his waterer. Gave him a little from the syringe. He is all moved in to his cage. I hope he sees the food and water and eats on his own today.

Silkies can be very sensitive to trauma.... He could still be in shock, so just keep him warm..maybe scoot the food closer...maybe try to give him some scrambled egg to tempt him... If he had a buddy that is nice and calm, you can try ad see if adding a friend may help him perk up....

I do have a silkie I could put in with him. She is actually with those other mama's that hurt him. I'm going to bring her in to keep him company. She's pretty mellow. Also, he has been having some baby food (squash, and I have carrots, peaches, and something else), but I'll give him some scrambled egg.

He is still clearly out of it, although improved from when it first happened.

Thank you for the suggestions.

I was reading about it and you have to be careful not to hydrate them to much in the beginning because it can cause more swelling. I let him rest for a couple days in the dark, with just a little water several times a day.

My hurt rooster seems to be responding and reacting more today. He still is not eating on his own. His buddy Kate, is keeping him company and wanted to share this picture. Kate has her head under his wing. She is actually his biological mama, although he was hatched by another hen. Kate on the left.

I'm glad to hear he has a friend and is doing better.
smile.png
Hope we get more good news!

Back
Top Bottom