UPDATED several concerns.....12 layers 1 egg....one chick looks rough

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by watsonlane, Feb 1, 2011.

1. watsonlane

watsonlane Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    We have 12 layers are are seeming to be blessed to go and see one egg in the boxes. what the heck? we've put a light in so they have extra light till about 8 p.m. fresh water, good food....i don't know what's the problem.

then I've got one girl that just looks rough....i've got photos on my phone but i'm unsure how to get them here....gonna try that now. Her neck looks long and she looks smaller than the others, feathers are coming off....just rough...whats all that about????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    How old and what type are your layers? Some don't lay as well in the winter. I have 10 hens of a few different types and are just now getting 4 eggs sometimes 5 eggs a day. As far as the one with the feather problems I would guess either she's molting or has mites.

3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    she may be getting picked on by the others. Do you live in a cold climate? they can get stressed from being stuck in the coop all day long, try to give them something to do, put a head of cabbage in for them to peck at, put a bail of hay in there for them to kick around, throw cracked corn/feed/boss into shavings for them to find. Also, my want to get them/her some electrolyte solution from the feed store in there water for added strenght. Make sure she is eating and that the others are not stopping her from eating, last, if you live were it is cold, maybe a few nights in a warmer area will help her conserve some energy and get stronger.

4. watsonlane

watsonlane Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Quote:We are in the panhandle of florida. it's been colder than normal but all the other girls are looking so much better than this one. The others are Barrod Rocks, if that's how you spell it. We have two of these brown ones and they all look better than this one.

5. eggy n nibbler

eggy n nibbler Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2010
    hey guys

i have a little concertain about my older chickens they have all stopped laying because it is really hot outside ?

when will they lay again?

they are about 4-5 months old

please help!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by