Updates on the last pages: Neighbor is threatening me and my chickens

Pics
Tomorrow night is moving night. After the chickens go to roost I’m going to move them the 300ft to their new coop. But how do I get them there? Moving each chicken individually is not feasible. I’m not sure how many chickens I have, I don’t count them since that’s a huge sticking point for my neighbor, but it’s more than 10. I do have a dog kennel and a small cat carrier. I’ll be doing this with my 8 year old sons since my husband works nights. Any advice on how to do this efficiently?

Tomorrow night is moving night. After the chickens go to roost I’m going to move them the 300ft to their new coop. But how do I get them there? Moving each chicken individually is not feasible. I’m not sure how many chickens I have, I don’t count them since that’s a huge sticking point for my neighbor, but it’s more than 10. I do have a dog kennel and a small cat carrier. I’ll be doing this with my 8 year old sons since my husband works nights. Any advice on how to do this efficiently?

Pick up the chickens, put them in the kennel and the cat carrier, carry them down to the new coop. For that short distance, put as many in each carrier as you can, but don't actually stack them on top of each other.

Or, if you have something like a wheelbarrow, you can also put the chickens in cloth bags (maybe use pillowcases), tie the top so they can't wiggle out, and sit them gently in the wheelbarrow for the ride. Again, don't stack chickens on top of each other, but you just need a way to keep them from jumping & trying to run in the dark while you move them. They don't need room to move around while being moved that distance, but of course they do still need to breathe and not get squished.

Good luck with the move! I second the dog carrier idea. As many as you can fit without stacking.

Pick up the chickens, put them in the kennel and the cat carrier, carry them down to the new coop. For that short distance, put as many in each carrier as you can, but don't actually stack them on top of each other.

Or, if you have something like a wheelbarrow, you can also put the chickens in cloth bags (maybe use pillowcases), tie the top so they can't wiggle out, and sit them gently in the wheelbarrow for the ride. Again, don't stack chickens on top of each other, but you just need a way to keep them from jumping & trying to run in the dark while you move them. They don't need room to move around while being moved that distance, but of course they do still need to breathe and not get squished.
I do have a wheelbarrow. I never would have thought of that. I’ll probably have to use it. My kennel is a medium one so I can probably fit most of my bantams in it. But I’ll probably use it for the standards. The wheelbarrow I can use for my large girls.
I’m so nervous about this. I just hope it all goes okay.

I do have a wheelbarrow. I never would have thought of that. I’ll probably have to use it. My kennel is a medium one so I can probably fit most of my bantams in it. But I’ll probably use it for the standards. The wheelbarrow I can use for my large girls.
I’m so nervous about this. I just hope it all goes okay.
We're rooting for you! :frow

Move went alright. I got my mom to help and it went better with her helping than just my kids. One of my hens went broody today so I left her in the cat carrier in the coop. I’m hoping I can get her to hatch out some Fuzzy eggs. The two other silkie hens that still have babies I left in their kennels for the night. Tomorrow I’m going to move them around so the babies won’t get picked on. I think it was just as stressful on them as it was for me. I’ll try to remember to snap a picture of the inside of the coop tomorrow morning.
After the ordinance officer comes tomorrow, and okays everything, I’ll be moving the other coops down. That way my broody and bantams can have their own coops. Right now everyone is in together. Large fowl in with bantams. Hopefully they’ll be okay for the night. My large fowl are light brahmas and sagittas. The sagittas are fat too. But they settled right in. Made themselves at home on the roosts right away. I just hope all my predator proofing pays off. I tested the run and nothing went for the bait. So 🤞

Ordinance officer came by today. All of a sudden it doesn’t look 300ft and he wants to actually measure it. Last Friday it looked fine and all we had to do was give him a map. I went beyond what he expected and gave him the plat map. He didn’t trust it I guess. Then he tells me the board told him I’m not even zoned to keep chickens. It doesn’t say that anywhere though. The zoning schedule they’re quoting as saying I can’t keep them doesn’t out right say I can, but also doesn’t say I can’t. It actually says to reference the zoning laws and within them it mentions farming. So many contradictions. I wish I could just move now. But the housing market here sucks. I can’t afford to move now anyway

The section from the zoning schedule that mentions farming for my zone
046D6437-21B8-4757-8AFD-A0061290C6CE.jpeg

I’m zoned MSM
CD4465F9-9F12-4D97-85AF-AFACEF86279F.jpeg

Then he tells me the board told him I’m not even zoned to keep chickens. It doesn’t say that anywhere though. The zoning schedule they’re quoting as saying I can’t keep them doesn’t out right say I can, but also doesn’t say I can’t.
...I’m zoned MSM

I'm seeing that chart has permitted uses, special uses, and prohibited uses.
For your MSM zoning, there is no mention of chickens, poultry, or farming in any column of that table. The "prohibited" column mentions things in Section 4-7, but you posted that, and I agree it doesn't seem to apply to your chickens.

So they would have to go under "special uses," which says "All other non-permitted/non-prohibited uses subject to performance standards. See Section 4-9."

I take that to mean, for anything not specifically prohibited or permitted, then it is allowed IF it meets whatever standards are in Section 4-9. (I'm not a lawyer, just agreeing that I read this the same way you seem to be reading it.)

Back
Top Bottom