Updates on the last pages: Neighbor is threatening me and my chickens

Pics
You tell him everything. All the details, how initially the neighbor was complaining about noise and how it escalated into other random stuff. How you've been a good neighbor and never complained about their unneighborly habits, like how their dog trespasses on your property.
Tell him about the incompetent board, the mayor trespassing, The strange wording and outdated paperwork for the ordinances.
A lawyer will be able to take all these details and be your advocate. Or even let you know if maybe you're wrong.
I know for me it's hard to argue my position even when I'm right because I don't enjoy confrontation. This is where a lawyer can really step up and be your advocate, if that's something you're struggling with.
That is something I struggle with. Because of my anxiety I’m very bad with words. Not bad with confrontation just with articulation. I’ll be calling a place on Monday that can hopefully help.
I was looking to see if there is a right to farm law in Esperance (which it seems like there is) and I came across this: https://www4.schohariecounty-ny.gov/departments/agricultural-development/ maybe try reaching out? The county has more power than a village and if they are trying to preserve agriculture maybe they can help.
I think I’ve looked at this before but thought it was nothing. I didn’t think the town or county overrode the village. But I’ll be checking into that. The mayor has to answer to someone other than just himself.

I thought about doing this, among other things I won’t mention. But I don’t want to stoop to my neighbors level. Yet anyway. I’m not even sure which one of them is really pissed off about the chickens anymore. Whether it’s her or him. She just keeps saying she can’t move with a chicken farm next door. 😑 He keeps coming up with new things to complain about. Mostly untrue things too. I haven’t made one complaint about them yet either. They let their dog run at large, they play loud music, they have their friends over and yell at the tops of their voices, they set off fireworks, they have fires in their yard, all the time they’re doing this stuff they’re drunk and yelling at each other. Always fighting and yelling. Have I ever complained? No. I can change that though. His biggest issue with me is my chickens. That’s all he has against me. Any other complaint would be against my mom because it’s her property. But oh boy I could be his worst nightmare. I just have chosen not to.
My husband is a big believer in the universe and karma. I hope by me not being a crap neighbor that this all works out in my favor. That I don’t have to stoop to his level to keep my beloved animals.
Yeah, I wouldn't have let him do it if the county wasn't on our side. I'm a peacemaker by nature, so I get it. And I'm actually Buddhist, so Karma is very important to me.

Good for you for sticking to your principles.

I am sorry about this. I do suggest you take pictures, keep a log, and document EVERYTHING. This is VERY important. You never know what you will need. If things get bad enough, you may have to get rid of your chickens. However, bear in mind that if it comes to that in all likelihood your neighbor will find something else to harass you about. I don't envy you.

I thought about doing this, among other things I won’t mention. But I don’t want to stoop to my neighbors level. Yet anyway. I’m not even sure which one of them is really pissed off about the chickens anymore. Whether it’s her or him. She just keeps saying she can’t move with a chicken farm next door. 😑 He keeps coming up with new things to complain about. Mostly untrue things too. I haven’t made one complaint about them yet either. They let their dog run at large, they play loud music, they have their friends over and yell at the tops of their voices, they set off fireworks, they have fires in their yard, all the time they’re doing this stuff they’re drunk and yelling at each other. Always fighting and yelling. Have I ever complained? No. I can change that though. His biggest issue with me is my chickens. That’s all he has against me. Any other complaint would be against my mom because it’s her property. But oh boy I could be his worst nightmare. I just have chosen not to.
My husband is a big believer in the universe and karma. I hope by me not being a crap neighbor that this all works out in my favor. That I don’t have to stoop to his level to keep my beloved animals.
Document EVERYTHING. Dates, times, details, names of witnesses. Keep a journal. Be prepared to submit it as evidence at some point, and KEEP A COPY. Take pictures wherever possible. Good luck.

I’m trying to document everything. Since I forget things so easily I try to do that anyway. I mostly try to record stuff since memories can change. I just told my husband to start recording the monthly meetings.
And I guess my mom did talk to the town lawyer about the mayor trespassing. He says the mayor has no leg to stand on but it isn’t worth the lawyers time to do anything about it. Since he didn’t damage any property. 😡😡 What the heck kind of lawyer is that??! That’s not the law buddy. Just because the mayor didn’t damage property doesn’t mean the jerk shouldn’t be held accountable. These freaking people.

Just wanted to post something happy for once. For the past few days, or weeks, I’ve stomach pains. Worry/ anxiety type pains. Not a stomach ache associated with anything but anxiety. Today I let my flock out into their new run and my pain went away. I felt good for the first time in a long time. My worries about my neighbor and the village were completely forgotten. I just sat and listened to my flock. I sat and talked to them. I enjoyed their chatter and the joy they felt at being in the grass again. I don’t know how chickens do it but they make me so happy.

This is Star. Sometimes known as Star Baby. She has a love/hate relationship with being picked up. She will run over to me to be picked up. Then yell about it when I do pick her up.
523FD62B-347D-4969-BCEA-33B2E2BAE040.jpeg

Bop is the silkie in the middle. He’s watching over the babies. Since Fuzzy passed he has become head boy. So far he does a good job.
2BE46E74-1913-4D4F-80DC-441A8074FEDB.jpeg

This is a cute little baby who is loud. She hates to be away from her mother and yells about it all the time. Her mother is Beakers, a vey patient silkie.
151B4BCE-654B-4442-AE1B-FC0FCA24C6E1.jpeg

I’m back to… the bad thoughts. The ordinance officer, and a member of the board, came by and measured today. Was 25ft short. Told me I had to get rid of my chickens until I got a variance. I told him it wasn’t going to happen. He didn’t care a thing about my mental health or how the chickens help. All he kept saying was he was like a police officer. Thanks for nothing. Hopefully the lawyer will be more help when she calls back. The member of the board said it wasn’t harassment but they were just doing their job. Yeah right. Whatever. Thanks for making my mental health worse and making me feel like crap.

Back
Top Bottom