Updates on the last pages: Neighbor is threatening me and my chickens

Pics
It seems like he has a problem with the Way you farm, by naming them, etc. A local/rural guy told me people who name their roosters never rehome them (I was rehoming a rooster with a name at the time).

It was obvious he thinks chickens are food and shouldn't be given names. I clarified I keep them for eggs and breeding, not eating.

Similarly, your neighbor's attitude seems nosy and bossy, so boundaries might be in order. He needs a fence and I'm fairly certain he has to reimburse you for any farm animals his dog destroys. He's being a bully because he has a dog problem.

(edited for clarification)
I actually just realized how much of a bully this guy is. He’s so used to getting his way that when there’s push back he throws huge hissy fits. He threatens my husband, won’t do it in front of me, and now has gotten cps involved. I think he thought that cps would take the chickens away if he told them they were hurting the children. But my children don’t lie and told cps that they do t get hurt. So she gave no f***s about the chickens.

I have had to rehome many roosters and hens that were named. It sucked but it had to be done for a healthier flock. Most of my chickens have weird names anyway. There’s ones that I name for sentimental reasons. Then there’s the ones I name because I couldn’t think of anything better. The weirdest named chicken I have is probably my silkie rooster Bop. Everyone makes fun of his name. But it’s so much easier to keep track of them if they have names.

I have had to rehome many roosters and hens that were named. It sucked but it had to be done for a healthier flock. Most of my chickens have weird names anyway. There’s ones that I name for sentimental reasons. Then there’s the ones I name because I couldn’t think of anything better. The weirdest named chicken I have is probably my silkie rooster Bop. Everyone makes fun of his name. But it’s so much easier to keep track of them if they have names.
There's no issue with weird names- one of my hens' actual name is Round Chicken. I actually specifically love named chickens. I'm pretty sure that the only guy that doesn't like them is your neighbor, and he has no right to make you feel badly about how you bond with your pets.
I've read through this whole thread, and what you're going through is horrible. I can't offer advice, but I (and Round Chicken) are rooting for you. :hugs

But it’s so much easier to keep track of them if they have names.
I agree, names are useful, and so much shorter than giving a description of the chicken every time you need to talk about them! ("the Easter Egger pullet with some blue in her feathers" is much longer than "Periwinkle.")

I have had to rehome many roosters and hens that were named.... there’s the ones I name because I couldn’t think of anything better.

I've rehomed or butchered plenty of named chickens. Even if I know I'm going to eat a particular chicken, I will often give it a name while I'm raising it. Some of the names are pretty obvious: Whitefoot and Yellowfoot (same breed, different foot color), Biter (he bit me when I picked him up as a chick), Maximus & Minimus (same breed, different sizes), and so forth.

@NatJ Those are some funny names. But those are names I would give to a bird I didn’t want to get attached to.

There's no issue with weird names- one of my hens' actual name is Round Chicken. I actually specifically love named chickens. I'm pretty sure that the only guy that doesn't like them is your neighbor, and he has no right to make you feel badly about how you bond with your pets.
I've read through this whole thread, and what you're going through is horrible. I can't offer advice, but I (and Round Chicken) are rooting for you. :hugs
Thank you. For both taking the time to read all of this and the support.

I appreciate the support from everyone who has helped me along the way, and those just now reading through, more than I can express.
All 24 of my chickens have names, that’s the most fun part! One of the pullets is named junior (named by my little cousin)! 😂😂 She is the same age and size as the rest of them haha. Even funny names are better than no name if you ask me!
I totally agree. I had a silkie named Boop once. He was the brother of Bop and they looked exactly alike. I have a satin, who is everyone’s favorite, named Baby too. She got her name because her crest covers her eyes if I don’t cut it. Well before I started cutting it she would walk into corners and just stand there. One day I say to my husband “no one puts Baby in a corner.” And now her name is Baby.

One rooster we had to rehome was a frizzle called Lil Chi. My husband named him and he was actually my husbands rooster. He named as such because he was a barred rooster and had the white spots on him as a chick. White spots in his chakra areas. So Lil Chi for short. this dude was super aggressive towards other roosters. The breeder I got him from knew it too. He even rehome Lil Chi’s father. But Lil Chi got rehomed with two maran hens named Crow and Blackie. My husband doesn’t like naming them because he thinks that means we’re going to keep them. But it doesn’t. Not always.

My heart hurts so much right now. I’m having an anxiety attack. We heard back from the zoning board chair and he said we have to get letters signed by our neighbors saying that they don’t mind the chickens. Even then we only get to keep 6 hens. I guess they voted in a new person and she wanted to get rid of all the chickens. The zoning board chair wanted to leave things the way they were. So the last person made them “compromise.” It doesn’t feel like a compromise to me. I can’t keep my roosters with this variance but there’s nothing in the zoning laws saying I can’t have roosters. I’m so hurt right now. I can’t move out of here fast enough.

We are going to go to the village hall when they’re open and try and get the zoning board member kicked off. They have to do special training every year. This new member hasn’t done it. I’m not sure if that’ll fly though because they needed a third person to vote on a variance. I just can’t get rid of my chickens. The thought of it makes me hurt so much.

My heart hurts so much right now. I’m having an anxiety attack. We heard back from the zoning board chair and he said we have to get letters signed by our neighbors saying that they don’t mind the chickens. Even then we only get to keep 6 hens. I guess they voted in a new person and she wanted to get rid of all the chickens. The zoning board chair wanted to leave things the way they were. So the last person made them “compromise.” It doesn’t feel like a compromise to me. I can’t keep my roosters with this variance but there’s nothing in the zoning laws saying I can’t have roosters. I’m so hurt right now. I can’t move out of here fast enough.

We are going to go to the village hall when they’re open and try and get the zoning board member kicked off. They have to do special training every year. This new member hasn’t done it. I’m not sure if that’ll fly though because they needed a third person to vote on a variance. I just can’t get rid of my chickens. The thought of it makes me hurt so much.
That sounds like an absolutely awful thing to go through. I'm so sorry. I really hope this works out for you and you get to keep your chickens.

:hugs

Back
Top Bottom