upright and rafter spacing

We did ours as a post and beam structure with posts 8 feet apart and 2x4 uprights to serve as "nailing strips" for the hardware cloth.

Build thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-open-air-coop-in-central-nc.1443812/
I really like your build. You might consider (if you didn’t already), adding Simpson Strong Tie straps to the rafters. That’s a lot of sail area and I saw some barns/outbuildings with the shed roofs lifted off when the remnants of Hurricane Michael came through here a few years ago. The Strong Ties will reduce the chance of that happening.

That is some fine building work you guys did there.

I really like your build. You might consider (if you didn’t already), adding Simpson Strong Tie straps to the rafters. That’s a lot of sail area and I saw some barns/outbuildings with the shed roofs lifted off when the remnants of Hurricane Michael came through here a few years ago. The Strong Ties will reduce the chance of that happening.

That is some fine building work you guys did there.

Yes, we have hurricane ties in place. :)

3KillersBees, I was hoping you had. Nothing worse than seeing the roof of your coop 50 feet away from it. :eek:

U_Stormcrow, my best friend lives in Greenville, Fl. We get the leftovers from you guys on the tropical storms. Usually 40-60 mph winds, rain and tornados.

Back
Top Bottom