Upstate, NY chicken peeps!

It doesn't look like this thread is completely dead yet......

I live in Rotterdam NY

I have 12 Buff Orps ( started with 15 but I have a "Foxy" predator) They free range all day on just under 2 acres of lawn, woods, and flower gardens. They seem very happy and are very friendly to all that come to see them. I purchased them from a local breeder at about 15 to 18 weeks old (May 2013). I bought them mainly for eggs and I am very happy with their average production of 9 eggs a day. I am still in the planning stages of my coop, but for now they live nights in a large 6 foot tall dog kennel pen (20' by 25') which is covered by wire mesh and a tarp for protection from the local wildlife and weather. They have a sturdy roost in the pen which I will move into the Coop when done and an old nesting box my father in-law used 30 years ago for his RI Reds.

This site has really been a great resource for information about raising chickens and I lean something new each day from it.

Cobleskill new York show this weekend on Sunday! Lots of good birds will be for sale so I am told!

Hi everyone!!!!
I just joined the forum today and can't wait to get to know people on here. I'm from Franklin County and live in the heart of the Adirondack Mountains!!!!!

Newbie, from the Utica Rome area, had our first hatch of 9 eggs and now have 2 sizzle chicks and 1 silkie chick. They are very nice, friendly. Anybody from the area sell bearded silkie hatching eggs OR Sizzle hatching eggs? We may try again, this batch had some old eggs in it and 3 didn't make it to pip. The ones that were less than 5 days old did hatch!
celebrate.gif

We learned a lot and are enjoying our 3 chicks. They watch tv with us.
pop.gif
and bounce around on our couch
wee.gif
on a warm towel.
yippiechickie.gif

Anyone near Fort Drum? We are looking for fertile eggs close to home. Last year we just bought local eggs and took our chances and had 11/12 fertility. Only had 6 make it to hatch due to our inexperience but looking to vary the flock.

Hi Seessy,
You might want to try on NY Chicken Lover!!!! forum. There's a lot of people from NY with all kinds of "good eggs"...hahaha!

I couldn't agree more with you this site has a lot to offer..you learn a lot form it ..better than a book..i have 7 black jersey giants gonna see how things go with them so far happy with them...

Back
Top Bottom