Urban Myth or really happened???

I have four White Leghorns I hatched from refrigerated, fertile eggs from Trader Joe's markets. One cockerel, three pullets. I incubated two dozen eggs and only those four developed. But I wanted to try to the experience.
41679_traderjoefertilecarton.jpg

3 came from the first dozen, and one hatched from an egg in the second dozen, set about a week later in a different incubator. The first 3 hatched on New Year's Day.

This is the little rooster, hatching upside down. Just like a man, wouldn't get directions!
41679_upsidedownhatchling.jpg

Here they are in the brooder, with another chick that hatched at the same time (I set more than just the Trader Joe's eggs).
41679_nydchicksplusone.jpg

Here they are in their grow-out coop.
41679_nyhatchchicks-4tjs.jpg

They are currently ranging freely with the other chickens in my flock, although the four of them tend to hang out together. And they like to roost in the trees during the day. At night, they roost on my back porch railing.

A pigeon is plenty big enough to sit on a chicken egg. They are about he same size as a bantam. My small old english hen hatched 4 standard eggs and 2 bantam eggs. Not counting the ones that quit on her. It could happen. When we had pigeons when I was a child(doves too), they would sit on most anything. Sometimes nothing. Maybe that was just ours. I don't know. Legend or truth? Can't tell ya. I just know it's possible. Also, the hatcheries make mistakes sometimes and roos do get mixed up with the pullets. So, yes, you can get fertile eggs from the commercial store bought eggs.

Back
Top Bottom