Urban Northern Coops

Allibroussard

Chirping
Feb 26, 2019
So please don’t be too harsh but I just bought the Farmhouse Coop from Urban Northern Coops. My husband and I have been wanting to get started on this chicken journey for a while and haven’t done it so I figured, I’m sick of looking and putting it off, I just want to do it!! I stumbled upon their great looking website, saw all the positive reviews and just bit the bullet and did it. Then I found this little forum and all of the bad reviews. With their super awesome (not) cancellation policy, even though I requested to cancel my order less than 5 minutes after placing, I will be out $165. If I cancel, I’ll be ordering a cheaper one from wayfair or Home Depot so I’m not out of pocket too much over this cancellation fee. Anyone have any input?? Stick it out with them or no way try the cheaper option from a different supplier?

So please don’t be too harsh but I just bought the Farmhouse Coop from Urban Northern Coops. My husband and I have been wanting to get started on this chicken journey for a while and haven’t done it so I figured, I’m sick of looking and putting it off, I just want to do it!! I stumbled upon their great looking website, saw all the positive reviews and just bit the bullet and did it. Then I found this little forum and all of the bad reviews. With their super awesome (not) cancellation policy, even though I requested to cancel my order less than 5 minutes after placing, I will be out $165. If I cancel, I’ll be ordering a cheaper one from wayfair or Home Depot so I’m not out of pocket too much over this cancellation fee. Anyone have any input?? Stick it out with them or no way try the cheaper option from a different supplier?

Not sure what the negative reviews were (poor service? poor quality?) but there might be still ways to salvage it. Do you have a link to the coop you ordered? How many chickens were you hoping to have? If you're willing to do a little work on it you might be able to make it work, at least a for little while.

No prefab coop from places like Wayfair or Home Depot is going to be any bigger or better quality, if that was the concern.

Sorry have to agree about prefab coops better to figure how many birds then double that
called chicken math then go to home depot look at the sheds they have bite the bullet buy the building put said building where you want it

Not sure what the negative reviews were (poor service? poor quality?) but there might be still ways to salvage it. Do you have a link to the coop you ordered? How many chickens were you hoping to have? If you're willing to do a little work on it you might be able to make it work, at least a for little while.

No prefab coop from places like Wayfair or Home Depot is going to be any bigger or better quality, if that was the concern.

Thank you for the feedback. The negative reviews seem to be mostly regarding quality. I’m thinking one from wayfair or homedepot will be of similar quality. I’m leaning toward just sticking with it and crossing our fingers we can modify it to make it last for a while.

Reinforce whatever looks flimsy, stain the wood, make sure you have latched that can not be easily opened (raccoons are smart and have busy little hands). If you have a run or something you can place the coop in (like a chain link type for dogs) it will add extra security from foxes, stray dogs etc. Add a ‘skirt’ of hardware cloth or pavers around to keep critters from digging in. I would also cover at least the bottom part of any fence with 1/2 inch hardware cloth so nothing can grab chickens in the run and pull their head. A cover of some type for shade and protection from owls and hawks is nice if you have a run....

Forgot to mention: the coops run small. If advertised to house x number of chickens, it’s usually not a realistic number except maybe for bantams. I bought a prefab for 4-6 before I got chickens, was barely big enough for 3 and for sleeping and laying only....

I know this is old but would love to hear how it worked out! 🤞

I know this is old but would love to hear how it worked out! 🤞
Same! I got an Urban Northern and was really pleased with it so I bought an additional run and it didn’t come with hardware and I’m now learning how terrible their customer service is.

Back
Top Bottom