**"Urgent: 7-Year-Old Hen Showing Unusual Behavior - Advice Needed!"**

Morningside Manor

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 25, 2017
Hey fellow backyard chicken enthusiasts! I’m quite concerned about one of my hens and would love any insights or advice.

• Hen’s Behavior: A few days ago, I noticed my hen mostly staying in one corner, barely moving. She hasn’t been eating her regular food or treats and doesn’t seem to be drinking. She moves occasionally, but when I let her out in the yard, she mostly just sits and will only sporadically walk around.
• Diet & Hydration: I offered her watermelon to ensure she gets some nutrition and hydration, and she did peck at it. She also showed some interest in blueberries and rolly pollies. However, she seems to have lost a significant amount of weight and feels very light.
• Physical Observations: There are no obvious visible issues. Her eyes are clear. The only thing I’ve observed is a bit of labored breathing when she’s sitting. Otherwise, she sits and lies down as usual.

I’m worried about her and wondering if this is a symptom of old age or if it’s something more serious. Has anyone experienced something similar? Any suggestions on what could be wrong or how to help her?

Thank you in advance for any insights! 🐥🙏

Have you had a fecal float test done or noticed any signs of worms? Did you notice any unusual poop or discharge from vent? Have you checked her for mites/lice? Have you checked for an impacted or sour crop? Have you felt her belly, does it feel like there's an egg stuck or does she have any fluid build up?

Give her some gatorade. I know it sounds odd, but my hen was on deaths door, and had lost all but maybe 15 ounces of her wieght. She was dying, so I gave her gatorade and scrambled eggs, and within 2 weeks, she is back to normal wieght and health. But my hen has heart faliure. I'm not sure if this is what is wrong with your chicken. I will be praying for her!

Your original post was 9 days ago, what’s happening w her now?
The average chicken lives to be about 8 years old, some more, some less. So yes, yours is old. I don’t know what can be done at this point, or if anything can be changed, improved.

Back
Top Bottom