URGENT Advise from all your lovely guys here!!

5017_pic.jpg

This is more swollen than normal and you can see the white marks on the pad. Again today she has managed to walk for a bit then sits on her hocks.

I want to find out whats wrong as i seem to have come out in symapthy for her and ever since she hasnt been able to walk i have had a very painful hip and limping!!

Help needed quickly lol
tongue.png

Her feet are definately being used i can see that when she walks. we have been keeping a very close eye on everything

I do have a poo pic discusting i know but what do i need to be giving her to eat. She is not interested in anything at the moment.

5017_dsc000271.jpg

I can't really tell from the picture of her foot. Is there a white elongated place in the center of the pad? I might be tempted to soak that foot and see if it helps make it easier to see. That foot does show swelling, so it might be where the lameness is coming from.

Have you tried scrambled eggs with her? sometimes they will eat oatmeal, yogurt or the pet stores have baby parrot hand feeding formula if you are going to try to hand feed her.

If she has been broody for a month, check and see if she has lost a lot of weight. She could have a nutritional deficiency from not eating much while on the nest, that would make her weak. The green poo is a sign that she is not eating enough. I would cook up an egg for her and see if that interests her. If I have a chicken not eating, I mix wild bird food in the layer crumbles and wet the food. That ususally gets them to eating. You can try Polyvisol - no iron childrens vitamins. I give a couple of drops in the beak twice a day. Also check her really good for mites. Mites seem to get on brooding hens since they are not dustbathing. Mites will literally suck the life out of a chicken. If she has mites, she may be weak from it. As for her not using her leg well, I agree with Verthandi, she may have a pinched nerve, or damage from bad circulation or her muscles getting weak from sitting on the nest for a long time. I would try a little 'Chickie Physical Therapy' I would gently massage her muscles in her leg a few times a day and see if that helps.

Good Luck with your girl!
fl.gif

Wow an interesting situation. Can the aspirin be offered with the vitamins? If so, might assist with the inflammation. Poor hen is so uncomfortable. Her avoidance of food may be keeping weight off the painful foot, but inevitably she needs to eat. It's sounding more urgent that the foot pain be solved...I admire your determination. Good luck with your baby.

I'm, also wondering if you need to search 'bumblefoot' here at BYC, if she was in moult and did suffer some nutritional deficiency her immune system coujld be down enough to cause it...

Last edited:
Seems to have more fighting spirit. Well she is fighting me and my husband when we are trying to feed her. still keeping her off her feet although she is stumbling around. She is also flapping more and wanting to get around.

I dont want to be falsley optimistic.

Egg - no chance not even entertaining the idea. Wet corn and layers pellets are a fight as well. Not interested in Grass and lettuce either

What is the chicken equivilent of chocolate??

Peepsnbunnies

She doesnt seem to have lost weight from being broody. Her crop has been the size of a tennis ball every night for the past three weeks. At least since before thursday. She is the top hen so gets all food first and believe me she does!!!

What have you been able to get her to eat? There has been a lot of good information in this thread. I would get her on a vitamin suppliments. Avia Charge is a poultry brand, Children's polyvisol without iron is available in WalMart's and other chain stores, WalMart also has a parrot vitamin that is liquid that I have used when I was out of Avia Charge. I think the vitamin was used twice a day for a week, then taper off, but I will have to search to make sure that is correct.

Aspirin can be used 5 regular tablets to a gallon, but I cheat and use one baby aspirin to a pint waterer.

Parrot handfeeding formula from a pet store is good, and I have used baby food in a pinch. At this point I would try anything that I could get runny enough so it could be handfed.

Do you think that foot pad might have a splitter in it? just a thought. I would work on getting her food intake up first, then address the foot.

Back
Top Bottom