URGENT Advise from all your lovely guys here!!

6chickens

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 23, 2007
I have a 1.5year old bantam Silkie hen. she has been broody for the past month (typical) and suddenly she is unable to bear weight on her left side. when she walks slowly she can just about manage it, but if something spooks her she is on her side.

The pad seems a little bit swollen but nothing else seems to come to mind. She is not eating unless i am hand feeding her and wont drink either (i'm keeping her hydrated though a syringe)

Also i have noticed there is a fleck in her eye that has never been there before.

Please help, i can force/hand feed three times a day at the weekend but as soon as the week comes round i cant do this and i'm scared i am going to lose her.

She is currently being kept separate from eeryone else but along side them so they can still see each other. I have fresh litter (wood shaings) feed them layers mash and cracked corn and always ensure they have fresh water. I seriously dont know what i am doing wrong here! !!

Forgot to mention, i hae tried her grab reflex and only her middle toe curls round the other two (at the front) one seems lifeless and the other not all there !

Its possible it could be a number of factors, like Merck's and some botilism or poisoning of some kind or a nutrional defincency of some sort.

Narcospy is the only resort if you really want to know whats going on with her.

can chickens still walk with meraks? or am i in for full paralysis in the next day or so?

from what i hear mareks just goes into remission and it could affect the rest of the flock??

Is it possible that this isnt mareks and just a sports injury (so to speak)

I would try just keeping her comfortable and supporting her system. Swollen pad, maybe bumble foot? Or from being broody, possible pinched nerve?

Quiet, warmth, food and some vitamins to help correct any deficiencies she might have developed while being broody. Check the foot over really well for bumble. And possibly some aspirin in her water if it might be just from stiffness from being broody.

Thanks for that! If i can get this to work i'll show a picture of her pad there are white patch in her crease and an orange spec within this. this is on her bad foot.

I don't see the classic black scab on her foot that would signify bumble foot and they are kept really clean.

With the pinched nerve would this make her hesitant to use the leg??

Back
Top Bottom