Urgent advise needed!!

Misshera

Chirping
Apr 30, 2023
My hen, who hatched 3 baby chicks just 2,5 weeks ago, has become very sick. She's a dwarf, unknown specie, and is just 1,5 year old. Suddenly she loses balance and struggle to stand properly. She tends to her babies and make sure they eat and learn how to behave, she's also trying to protect them from the other hens, but now she is not strong enough and she just falls over. She has become very very thin, she's lethargic and now her droppings are runny and the color of mustard. She still eats a little bit. Any thoughts as to what this can be and how to cure it? We are leaving towards letting her go, but then what about her baby chicks, will they be fine?

I would feed
Doris some scrambled egg and offer some feed mixed with a lot of water. Do you have Poultry NutriDrench, other Poultry vitamins ? Was she broody a long time? She might be close to molting time as well, and her tail feathers are coming out. Get her drinking well, and see how she does. Poop pictures are good to post. She may be very weak or malnourished from sitting. If you take the chicks away, that can really stress her out. I would have a brooder ready for the chicks with a heat source, if you do. How old exactly are the chicks? I had a broody hen abandon her chicks at 2 weeks old once, and they did well on their own because the broody had shown them how to forage, the other chickens had accepted them, and they would keep each other warm. But that isn’t always the case.

I would feed
Doris some scrambled egg and offer some feed mixed with a lot of water. Do you have Poultry NutriDrench, other Poultry vitamins ? Was she broody a long time? She might be close to molting time as well, and her tail feathers are coming out. Get her drinking well, and see how she does. Poop pictures are good to post. She may be very weak or malnourished from sitting. If you take the chicks away, that can really stress her out. I would have a brooder ready for the chicks with a heat source, if you do. How old exactly are the chicks? I had a broody hen abandon her chicks at 2 weeks old once, and they did well on their own because the broody had shown them how to forage, the other chickens had accepted them, and they would keep each other warm. But that isn’t always the case.
Thanks for your reply!!! I would hate to put her down, she's such a sweetheart. You can actually see her dropping in the film called sick hen, just after she loses balance and sits back a bit, when she stands up and moves forward. I screenshoted it, but it's not very clear.
You can see the poop is very runny, I checked it for worm, and found nothing. She has lost A LOT of feathers as well, forgot to mention that, i was thinking about molting, but then with all the other symptoms I have just thought the worst, if you know what I mean. She is literally just skin and bone underneath those feathers. About 10 days ago I gave all of my chicks poultry vitamins, it was just after she started becoming weak and I thought it would be good for her to get some vitamins after the long period of being broody. The chickens are exactly 20 days old.

Screenshot_20230824_185817_Video Editor.jpg

Back
Top Bottom