URGENT! AUSTRALORP FEMALE BLEEDING!!

No expert here in chicken first aid - just an old EMT. While waiting for a chicken expert to jump back in - did you do the internal exam that @Tycine1 described above? If so - what did you feel. Don't worry about stuffing the prolapse inside yet - just help the more experienced diagnose what's going on and they'll be more able to offer advice.
Thanks for adding the photo - that will be helpful.

I felt around, no eggshells. It was all just squishy and soft. I was able to gently put everything back inside of her without her pushing it out for like 15 minutes. I hope it stays in though. I’ll try giving her the tums, she seems to be in a lot better condition. Is there anything else i can do? Her vent appears normal and clean. Thank you for the help

Sorry about your hen. Was there any damage to the vent around the prolapse? Other chickens may see the prolapse and peck at it causing sometimes severe damage to the vent, which can cause problems later. You don’t need Preparation H hemorrhoid cream. Just put some type of oil or ointment, or plain old honey on the red tissue of the prolapse when or if it comes back out (and they do when they poop or lay an egg.) It is important to keep the prolapse tissue moist and not let it dry out if it comes out, due to the danger of the red tissue drying out and dying.
It sounds like you have things under control for the moment. Keep her separated from other chickens in a dog crate or pen. It might be good to keep her in the house with you until the vent stays in all of the time.

No broken shell inside of her is GREAT news! Is she still bleeding? If so, you'll want to attempt to locate the source so you can determine how bad it is... Just like with humans that have hemorrhoids (as a fitting example), sometimes the staining will cause bleeding and normally that would be considered "normal" and "acceptable", providing of course that the bleeding doesn't persist. Other chickens can (and will) peck at a prolapsed vent, so you'll need to separate her from the flock to avoid additional injury. FLIES will lay eggs there too, (fly strike) (maggots, that if left untreated will eat her from the inside out) so she'll need to be in a location where that's not going to be easy for them to get at her. You can expect the prolapse to continue to pop out regularly until her bum starts to heal. IF she's no longer bleeding, you can offer her 1 baby aspirin (81mg) for every 3.25 pounds that she weighs for pain and it does double duty as an anti-inflammatory. If you do not have baby aspirin, you can use adult aspirin broken into appropriate dose... adult aspirin typically comes in 325mg & 500mg doses. Dosing is 25mg of aspirin per pound of chicken. This can be 'hidden' in egg yolk or other tasty tidbit. Aspirin tastes awful, so don't try to dose her water with it. Do a search on the forums here for previous posts regarding prolapsed vent for instructions and ideas that would work for you and her.

Yes you are right, @microchick. You can use it or not. The important thing is to use some sort of lubricant so that the tissue does not dry out and die. Some links say not to use it, and some kinds have pramocaine (pramoxine) which is one the caines painkillers that may be toxic in large amounts. The Chicken Chick now recommends hydrocortisone cream, but even that shouldn’t be used in large amounts for long periods. Honey is good, olive oil, vaseline, or Triple Antibiotic Ointment are fine. I don’t think the lubricant used is that important, just some type.

No, the bleeding has stopped and she is sleeping. Also the vent looks completely normal. Poor baby is so tired. I’ll keep her inside until everything is healed. So if it comes back out i put it back in and can put vaseline around it? I’ll tell my dad about the medicine because he knows more about it than me. Thank you for all your help. Are there any beneficial foods to give her?

Feed her what she is used to if she is eating, and sometimes wet chicken feed, scrambled chopped egg, or a small amount of tuna can get them eating if they need coaxing. The ointments or creams are only necessary if the prolapse stays out, or if there is damage around the vent. Pictures of that if there is any would be good. Good luck, and keep up the good work.

Back
Top Bottom