URGENT! AUSTRALORP FEMALE BLEEDING!!

Good News! I'm glad to hear that things have settled down for both of you! I agree, you have done an amazing job. I hope you are considering a career in nursing as you would make a great one. you did a first rate job of evaluation on your hen.

Thanks for the information @Eggcessive. That is wild about the hydrocortisone creme. I've had doctors tell me that it's contraindicated for extended use on mucous membranes, and I know that they are recommending using vasoline on sutures now instead of triple antibiotic. If I had my choice between the two for use on a chicken, I'd probably go with vasoline.

Keeping her in a dark cage or room for 16 hours out of every 24, including overnight each day can get her to stop laying, but it takes several days to stop it. She can have 8 hours a day of light to walk around, eat, drink, and scratch. Of course this is something you can do or not do. Since her vent is staying in, you can skip that, but that is how to stop her laying temporarily.

Thank you. I do have hopes to become an avian vet later on. She walked around this morning and seems to be doing better. I checked her vent and it looks normal. :) When I get back home i’ll give her some fruits and veggies. Also, it’s still decently cold outside, should i let her out for a bit under supervision?

She is fine to go out with her flock as long as her prolapse is staying inside. Treats are okay as long as she is getting 90% of her diet from a balanced chicken feed. Fruits and veggies do not contain enough of the protein and ther nutrients they need, but I like to give mine a treat now and then. Chopped scrambled eggs, a handful of sunflower hearts, or having them split a can of tuna are good ones.

Thank you. I do have hopes to become an avian vet later on. She walked around this morning and seems to be doing better. I checked her vent and it looks normal. :) When I get back home i’ll give her some fruits and veggies. Also, it’s still decently cold outside, should i let her out for a bit under supervision?
I think becoming a vet or Dr is a great goal! Handling this problem, without your parents home or car access - you’ve got a good head on your shoulders. Dream big!

Back
Top Bottom