URGENT : Blood and some tiny living things over the chicken's anus

Winchester512, I have been out all day. Did you find a pesticide to kill those bugs on your hen? How is she doing?

Thanks for all answers!
They are lice. Sevin dust will kill them.
But there are nothing like that here. I've got to find replacement i guess.

I would NOT use DE on them to get rid of lice. Sevin or poultry dust or you will lose your birds. You need to get rid of them quickly since it's been an ongoing infestation and you're birds are struggling.
Be sure to dust all of your birds and clean the coop. Put new bedding and nest box filling and use the powder in the nest box and in the rest of the bedding. Just getting the bugs off the birds isn't the only thing you must do you have to get the bugs out of the chickens environment or they will just get back on the chickens. If you have access to probiotics that will help the chickens recover.
Winchester512, I have been out all day. Did you find a pesticide to kill those bugs on your hen? How is she doing?
Not yet, gotta wait till the morning :)

Many use carbaryl 5%, permethrin, dichlorvos (Vapona), Stirofos (Rabon) or a combination of the last two in a product called Ravap. Repeat treatment after 7 days to get eggs, and again 7 days later. Treat the coop and nest box. After you get them under control, you can add wood ash from your stove to her dust bath with dirt and sand. That will help keep them under control.

I hope you find some poultry dust or garden dust pesticide. Your chickens will be happy when you rid those bugs.

Turns out there is not sevin dust available here in my town, I found some dust called Propoxur 1%. I'm going to use that on her.

Turns out there is not sevin dust available here in my town, I found some dust called Propoxur 1%. I'm going to use that on her.

Okay. Is it listed for chickens or pets, or garden plants? Edible plants or animals?

Remember, all your birds will need to be dusted as well as all their living area: coop, nests, etc.

Okay. Is it listed for chickens or pets, or garden plants? Edible plants or animals?

Remember, all your birds will need to be dusted as well as all their living area: coop, nests, etc.

Yes, it's listed for almost all animals. I googled and saw it was an old pesticide first used in 1959.
I dusted the only one had lices on her, took an hour! but I could see the results immediately, the lices fall dead just after some dust were put on them, I could see more than hundred dead lices on the ground! Considering the hours may take to fully dust the coop and other chickens, I thought maybe I should quarantine the sick one. I'm gonna check and see if I can find lices on other ones, in a couple of hours and if I can find some, then I'll have to dust the whole area and chickens.

Thank you all dear friends who helped me through this :) This is a really great forum!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom