Urgent!! Chicken seems very ill

little_giant

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Today one of my chickens slipped from a high area and fell. It fell onto its back and stayed in that position for probably some hours. It has been laying on ice and mud. I flipped it over, fed it, and tried to dry it using a hair dryer. It looks tired and weak (eyes slowly close until some form of distraction). What should I do?

Please respond ASAP

Thank you so much.

This is from other replies, not from experience.

It could be shock from the fall. Can you take it in out of the cold and keep it warm and quiet (maybe a large dog kennel?) How old is the chicken? General condition otherwise? Is he/she moving his/her legs or feet or wings? I think I'd give it 24 hours to see if it can recover from the fall on its own.

There are just too many things we don't know.

Please start by bringing the bird inside into a warm environment (at least 70 degrees). If you have a heating lamp, offer it indirect heat.

Has it pooped at all? That is a very important clue -- especially since it sounds as if the bird may have a back injury. If you have not already done so, please place a rolled towel around the bird's body so it can be supported. Is the bird alert enough to offer it water by dipping its beak into water? If so, please do so -- room temperature water. I would do this for at least an hour -- every few minutes --- so that the bird will be properly hydrated. I would then assess the birds condition and perhaps offer it some dry cat or dog food that has been fully soaked it water, so that is it easier for the bird to digest. Supportive care is critical until you can get a better handle on the birds overall condition, or take her to someone who can make that determination.

Hope this helps.

Thank you!
The chicken is 1 and a half years old and she can move quite well. It runs to go to the food and it drinks like it always did.
I'm not sure if it pooped but it is alert. It just seems a little tired and it doesnt stand up as tall as it used to. How long should I keep it in the box? im planning to take it back out in the morning and let it sleep in my house overnight.

Last edited:
She sounds like she is doing well. You will be able to tell if she needs further isolation when you put her out. Just keep an eye on her. Your sig. says you have 2 hens, is that right?

Quote:

yes. I have two hens. The other one is fine and is sleeping with the chicken right now

yes eye closing is natural from my expierience.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom