URGENT-- frozen feet!

Pics
Well, it is my fault. I leave the door to the run open at night because their water is out there, and I don't always get out at first light to feed them etc.
But you can bet tonight I am closing that little door.
Usually the coop stays pretty cozy even with that little door open, and they have a heat lamp above their favorite roost.
We just got a Cozy Coop heating panel when the temps dropped below zero with the most recent storm. It’s nice because it doesn’t take up much space at all! And, I don’t have to worry about somebody knocking down the heat lamp or dust buildup causing a fire. What about getting an automatic pop door for the morning? (I’m retired, so I can get up and out without having to worry about getting to work on time.)

We just got a Cozy Coop heating panel when the temps dropped below zero with the most recent storm. It’s nice because it doesn’t take up much space at all! And, I don’t have to worry about somebody knocking down the heat lamp or dust buildup causing a fire. What about getting an automatic pop door for the morning? (I’m retired, so I can get up and out without having to worry about getting to work on time.)
didn't know she had a heatlamp:oops:

Oh NO!
Do you have a spare room you can put them in?
Warm them like you did Peri.
Victoria is lethargic? I would try to get some Nutri-Drench into her, then room temp to warmed electrolytes or whatever you used with Peri. Same with Zoe, but work on the one that is worst first.
Unfortunately, I needed to go to the barn, and all I had time to do was syringe some warm nutri drench into Victoria and cozy her into the flannel with her sister. Zoe found the electrolytes and started drinking at once, so I will wash his feet tonight, and hopefully Victoria will be feeling better by then.

Unfortunately, I needed to go to the barn, and all I had time to do was syringe some warm nutri drench into Victoria and cozy her into the flannel with her sister. Zoe found the electrolytes and started drinking at once, so I will wash his feet tonight, and hopefully Victoria will be feeling better by then.
It's good that Zoe is drinking on her own. If you got some Nutri-Drench into Victoria before you left and she's cozy, hopefully she will be good until you get back.
Not sure about washing/soaking feet unless there is obvious damage. I would not mess with them at all until you had to.

Victoria looks much better tonight. She is still a little dull, but her crop is full. Her feet look swollen, but she is walking around and drinking independently.
20190122_212022.jpg

Zoe is another story.
20190122_211027.jpg

I did wash his feet, but very very gently in lukewarm water, just enough to get the dirt and ick off. The one is very sore and blistered. I am very gently applying the castor oil.

Peri is still very lame. I am worried about pneumonia from her. She was essentially dead this morning, but you ain't dead until you're warm and dead, so we'll just we will just take each day as it comes.

What I did with Scout was apply the castor oil down TO the obvious damage, then put either Betadine or raw honey on the raw places, and cover with Vet Wrap so bedding and such wouldn’t stick to the treated areas. I did soak Scout’s feet in his Hot Tub, then wrap him in a warm “spa towel” - a washcloth run through the dryer for the few minutes he was in his tub. BUT he was inside the house the whole time he was being treated. Him getting his feet wet at the waterer and out temps plunging to -17 degrees was what started his problem in the first place, so putting him outside after getting him wet would have been the height of carelessness. When his mom hatched him it was in the upper 60s and low 70s. Our temps dropped to that sub zero 17 degrees in only 2 days and even the forecasters were stunned.

What I did with Scout was apply the castor oil down TO the obvious damage, then put either Betadine or raw honey on the raw places,
:eek:
I misread it-- I thought I was supposed to go ON the damaged feet.

They are all staying in for now, until their feets heal nicely. I am anticipating several weeks at least.

Back
Top Bottom