Urgent Help! Hen going downhill fast

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kit-e-kate, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm very sorry she is declining further. You may be correct about fatty liver, since the yellowing of the comb.
    A warming cushion sounds very nice. I wish I had better answers for you.

If you happen to lose her and want a more definitive answer, refrigerate her body and send it to your state lab for necropsy/testing. Some of us perform our own informal investigation, looking into the abdomen and at internal organs. If that is something you wish to do, you can post photos here on your thread or on the necropsy thread. I understand, it sounds morbid, but actually seeing what was going on inside is an educational experience, but not for everyone.

keeks&kiwimom and CapricornFarm like this.
  2. kit-e-kate

kit-e-kate In the Brooder

Mar 26, 2018
    I've just messaged a neighbour who might have some, but there aren't any shops nearby who stock that kind of thing. :(

CapricornFarm likes this.
  3. kit-e-kate

kit-e-kate In the Brooder

Mar 26, 2018
    A big thank you to everyone who took the time to reply and help me with this. That's her gone now. She was as cosy and comfortable as I could make her, all snug in a bed made of a cardboard box full of towels in the sunny warm greenhouse. I went to check on her about half an hour ago and she'd succumbed to a heart attack. Rest in Peace, Pepsi.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm so sorry to hear you lost Pepsi :hugs

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You did everything you could think of for her, and made her as comfortable as possible in the end. She couldn't have asked for anything more.

6. If she does pass away, my favorite rooster will take good care of her in chicken heaven!

7. Chickens rule 33

Chickens rule 33 Chirping

Jan 28, 2018
    Hi
    My hen had exactly the same symptoms you mention and looked the same sadly she passed way yesterday night

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I lost 4 older hens this past winter. the 3 I did necropsy on all had ascites (amber fluid from the belly) when I opened the abdominal wall. I was surprised that ascites does not always feel hard like a drum. These hens were all very thin with muscle loss. I hope that your hen gets better, but it seems that many older hens do suffer from various reproductive problems, liver disease, and heart failure. Sorry for your loss.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Wyorp Rock likes this.
  9. orrpeople

orrpeople Grading essays - be back soon!

Jun 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    I recently received a necropsy report on one of my "production layers" (sexlink) that was very interesting. Apparently the high volume of eggs combined with egg size can create micro-tears in the egg tract. These heal, but scar tissue builds up over time creating blockages and sometimes fibroids. Official cause of death is usually egg peritonitis or internal laying.
    It seems like you gave your girl a very good retirement and that she was well loved to the end. :)

Wyorp Rock, CapricornFarm and bobbi-j like this.
  10. Rest now Pepsi, take care of Peeps for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: