Urgent help, may be dry membrane

Pics

sophiafur

Chirping
May 22, 2020
I am so happy! One of them started pipping!
this happened last night and no sign of the others, its now 8 hours after the first one pipped, does that mean the others arent gonna hatch and only 1?

38ABFACC-1748-4DED-94EE-C04C12E6BD16.png

Last edited:
Yayyy :celebrate
From what I read .... from internal pip to external is 24 hours ish and then another 24 hours for external pip. How long after that they zip I dont know.... hopefully someone who knows more will come along.
The above was for chickens and I believe you are doing ducks so not sure of the timing for ducks but I read somewhere they are slower than chickens.

Yayyy :celebrate
From what I read .... from internal pip to external is 24 hours ish and then another 24 hours for external pip. How long after that they zip I dont know.... hopefully someone who knows more will come along.
The above was for chickens and I believe you are doing ducks so not sure of the timing for ducks but I read somewhere they are slower than chickens.
Thankyou!

Thankyou!
Are these ducks? The membrane looks a bit dry. What is your humidity at? The others could definitely still hatch. Give that one 30+ hours before you start to worry. Ducks take their sweet time.

Are these ducks? The membrane looks a bit dry. What is your humidity at? The others could definitely still hatch. Give that one 30+ hours before you start to worry. Ducks take their sweet time.
[/QUOTEYe
Yes they are ducks and the membrane does seem very dry, our incubator is homemade and we cant get the humidity up, we have tried EVERYTHING, sponges tokitchen roll and its still so low :(

Can you take the incubator in your bathroom and run a hot shower every hour or so? Keep the door closed.

Can you take the incubator in your bathroom and run a hot shower every hour or so? Keep the door closed.
maybe, Do you want me to send you a photo of what the incubator is like? And also could we help it hatch if the membrane is too dry? And would this kill it with it being dry?

maybe, Do you want me to send you a photo of what the incubator is like? And also could we help it hatch if the membrane is too dry? And would this kill it with it being dry?
Sure. You can assist, but you have to wait until the right time. Have you read the guide to assisted hatching? It could very well shrink-wrap it which would prevent it from hatching. You might have to help. You might not though, it depends.

Sure. You can assist, but you have to wait until the right time. Have you read the guide to assisted hatching? It could very well shrink-wrap it which would prevent it from hatching. You might have to help. You might not though, it depends.
When do you think i should assist it, it hatched like 21 hours ago and is still not that big and hasnt zipped but we can see it move, open its mouth and quack!

Back
Top Bottom