urgent help needed- dog attack-warning! graphic pic

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
ok, my dogs got one of my daughters hens that flew into their pen.
this is the second one and my 13 yo daughter is a wreck
sad.png
I need to know if there is any chance for her to recover. Please consider she is a loved pet. she seems to be mostly plucked on her breast but the leg is my concern, she can still walk......
thanks for any help
11313_chickattack.jpg

Oh my! I had one lose a wing. It looked horrible. I just cleaned it with h. peroxide and separated the poor boy. That meant he was in the house and I could keep an eye on what he ate and drank and keep it clean. He healed very quickly and was back outside in 5 or 6 days.

The fact she can still walk is a great sign. My rooster hid his head under his other wing for a day or 2. He liked it pretty quiet. I think there is a good chance she will be ok. The main thing is to keep it clean and make sure she eats and drinks.

As long as there are no puctures in the back and she`s breathing ok(no rattles or wheezing), she should be fine. Apply a good antibiotic cream(with no pain killers) and keep her alone til she heals. Should be fine.......Pop

Yes put her in a quiet dark place with food and water. Clean the wounds and apply a topical antibiotic. Some vitamins or sugar in her water or antibiotics if you have them. In a few hours some mashed boiled egg or yogurt. My hen recovered after a coyote attack and she wouldn't walk. She was back with the flock in about 3 weeks.

That's not so bad. Clean the area with betadine/iodine, apply antibiotic ointment one time, and keep her in a quiet place. After that keep the wound dry and keep her f rom picking at it.

what do I need to buy for antibiotic? do I need to go to the feed store? neosporin without pain relief work? do I pack gauze on the leg?

Looks like she was skinned?
Happened to some of our baby turkeys we washed the wounds with running water. Added some Blukote and put them in a crate in the bathroom (also gave them vit.s in the water)till the skinned areas scabbed over. They are fine today, just have some sections where there is skin and no feathers.

Back
Top Bottom