urgent help needed- dog attack-warning! graphic pic

Same for both. It took a very short time for the turkeys backs to scab over. I had them back in the pen in about 3 weeks. Then I just added blukote to the wound every day till about a week after scab fell off. I most likey was over doing it but I really wanted to give them the best chance I could. I wish I would have posted so all could see the damage after and before photos. But I just freaked and started going through the motions of trying to doctor and clean and heal. The turkeys that had back completly skinned had full scabs at the end of a week. The one with a hole took a little longer.

Quote:
From the photo her breast and her leg and thigh look skinless. The muscle - the part we eat - is completely exposed. That much of an area will not regenerate quickly. The exposed tissues will begin to dry out. They will also draw flies now that it is spring and you will see magoot rot from the fly strike.

I hate it but this bird is going to suffer a very long time. It would be less cruel to cull her than to let her linger skinless and in dire pain.

The kind of injuries she has will take months to heal even if you are successful in not lett the expose muscle tissue dry out. The major risk is unknown infection. Dog salivia has all sorts of really nasty bacteria in it and most over the counter vet antibiotics you can get won't cure the secondary infections.

You should really considering putting a top on the dog pen or fixing it where the chicken have a closed run. Since this type of attack has happened previously it stands to reason it will happen again unless active intervention takes place.

well, after figuring everything out and talking to my other kids.....
it seems she did not fly in, she most likely was already in there but in one of the 4 dog houses so my boys didn't see her when they put the 2 dogs out. The pen was left open last night and this morning the chickens decided to check it out, but no one saw her in there as the others were already out
now everyone feels terrible
sad.png

This is a picture I just took of the turkey that had a hole in its back before. It was down to the bone and went from the neck to the hip bone. My son is helping me hold the feathers away so you can see the healed wound better
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww48/PQCraig/turkeywound001.jpg

This is one of the turkeys that was skinned not plucked, skinned. All feathers have grown back and looks like nothing ever happened. She was skinned the same as the top bird but did not have a hole chewed in back.
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww48/PQCraig/turkeywound003-1.jpg

Years ago we had a NN hen that had all of the skin ripped off of her neck from an attack. It took about a month to heal and she grew new skin over the area just fine but it was very late winter before the flies were out.

I just had a similar attack a few days ago- hawk. Glenda posted some excellent wound care instructions just a few days ago. My hen is doing well with the Blukote, antibiotics and a quiet, dim pen in our basement. I initially tried using Neosporin, but the wound was way too wet and the hen was acting like she was really cold. (She ought to have been, she was half bald and her back was skinned.)
I know some are for culling an animal that's badly wounded like that, but there is a reason for the saying "She's a tough old bird." They really are quite resilient. Good luck whatever you decide to do. It's really tough, I know.

Here's that thread

The danger this time of the year is fly strike. Once the flies lay eggs and maggots set in it is hard to heal. Cold weather wounds are so much easier to deal with.

how about if she stays in the house until healed? dh stopped the attack so there is no chance of infestation already, and he brought her in.....

Last edited:
Quote:
I would bring her in and coat her with a mixture of Betadine and podered sugar.
This will keep the infection out, promote healing and not kill off any live tissue still left.

I would not be surprised if she gets worse looking before getting better. There will be damaged tissue that looks good now that will die. Again the betadine and powdered sugar (sugardine to us horseshoers) works wonders.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom