urgent help needed- dog attack-warning! graphic pic

Quote:
We gauzed one turkey but only because he had a hole in his back I would just leave it be Blukote is a antibiotic. If you use gauze it sticks so on the turkey we applied a boat load of neo before the gauze,

Quote:
I really like blukote as the tend to not peck at themselves, also the other turkeys/chickens tend to leave the one alone after applying blukote because of the color I think they forget there is a wound and they go on with there day.

Last edited:
would have to look again, was a lot going on trying to keep the kids away......if she was skinned will she recover?

She should as long as you keep applying blukote wash wound in running water a few times a day and then reapply the blukote it should scab over shortly. Our turkeys has there intire backs skinned and we didnt lose one.
Also we would let the turkeys out side in a raised cage to sun every day it dried out the wounds really fast. Just keep her dry and clean and some vit and some sun... should do her well.

Last edited:
Quote:
I do agree with this but we live in a very rocky dusty area and infection was a huge concern for us with open wounds. So do what you feel is right for your enviroment. We are lucky to find a blade of grass here LOL

Quote:
From the photo her breast and her leg and thigh look skinless. The muscle - the part we eat - is completely exposed. That much of an area will not regenerate quickly. The exposed tissues will begin to dry out. They will also draw flies now that it is spring and you will see magoot rot from the fly strike.

I hate it but this bird is going to suffer a very long time. It would be less cruel to cull her than to let her linger skinless and in dire pain.

The kind of injuries she has will take months to heal even if you are successful in not lett the expose muscle tissue dry out. The major risk is unknown infection. Dog salivia has all sorts of really nasty bacteria in it and most over the counter vet antibiotics you can get won't cure the secondary infections.

You should really considering putting a top on the dog pen or fixing it where the chicken have a closed run. Since this type of attack has happened previously it stands to reason it will happen again unless active intervention takes place.

sorry for the repetitive questions but should blu-kote be enough for the leg too? or does that need the ointment

Back
Top Bottom