Urgent help needed with a Baby Duckling

Toxijelly

Hatching
Jun 3, 2022
I want to preface this by saying I do not have the option to send him to a retreat. Due to Avian flu they are not excepting newcomers.
We saved him because he mom was gone, even after searching. His leg was really busted aswell.

Fast forward a day, and he ends up continually jumping up on his one good leg, trying to get out of his cardboard box. It is pretty spacious, 1.5 feet wide and 2.5 feet long with a depth of about 1.25 feet.

His leg is having problems, and we found blood. Turns out something is wrong with his limb and I think its a matter of time before his leg literally falls off. It is completely limp. We cant bring him to the vet either and are pretty much up to our own devices.

How do I get him to stop jumping so he can heal, and how can I have his leg get better? He is a little wood duckling and we dont actually know the ducklings gender.

His name is Hamilton, and I really want him to be OK.

Please help me, I dont know much about this stuff. Even tips on how to keep him alive. I dont care about eggs or anything right now, I just want him to be OK.

EDIT: TERRIBLE PHOTOS IM SORRY ITS HARD TO KEEP HIM STILL

Attachments

• 20220603_224205.jpg
    20220603_224205.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220603_224216.jpg
    20220603_224216.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 3
Get a bigger box? Wood ducks aren't like domestic ducks, they take specialized care and they live different than domestic ducks, it would be very hard for it to function normally with one leg.
@Isaac 0 do you have wood ducks? Any advice?

I want to preface this by saying I do not have the option to send him to a retreat. Due to Avian flu they are not excepting newcomers.
We saved him because he mom was gone, even after searching. His leg was really busted aswell.

Fast forward a day, and he ends up continually jumping up on his one good leg, trying to get out of his cardboard box. It is pretty spacious, 1.5 feet wide and 2.5 feet long with a depth of about 1.25 feet.

His leg is having problems, and we found blood. Turns out something is wrong with his limb and I think its a matter of time before his leg literally falls off. It is completely limp. We cant bring him to the vet either and are pretty much up to our own devices.

How do I get him to stop jumping so he can heal, and how can I have his leg get better? He is a little wood duckling and we dont actually know the ducklings gender.

His name is Hamilton, and I really want him to be OK.

Please help me, I dont know much about this stuff. Even tips on how to keep him alive. I dont care about eggs or anything right now, I just want him to be OK.

EDIT: TERRIBLE PHOTOS IM SORRY ITS HARD TO KEEP HIM STILL
He's dead, just died last night.

Back
Top Bottom