Urgent help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randhawa chickens

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Australia
Hi
I really need help i am so confused as i have been doing heaps of research on incubating chickens and i have built an incubator and everything i just
dont know about the humidity i have seen on heaps of websites and there all different.

On one site I saw someone saying that you are supposed to have the humidity at 30-40% for the first 18 days, then get it up to 60-65%.
and on another site someone said to have it at 60-65% for the first 18 days and even higher for the rest.

Please help i want this hatch to work and i just dont know who to beleive please can i have as much help as possible it would be awsome

Thanks Jai:confused:

I personally don't think the humidity for the first 18 days is so critical. I have a friend who dry hatches and has very good hatches. The most critical time for the humidity is the last 2/3 days when the eggs are set in lock down, then it should be around 65 to 70%.

Hi, and welcome to BYC!
smile.png

Everybody tells you different things about it, because everybody has their own opinion.

Find what works best for you. It depends on where you live, alot. It's recommended ~

40-50 % - Days 1 - 18
60-70 % - Days 18 - Until you have fluffy butts

However I've also read people up it up to 80 % at lockdown. Fiddle with it a bit and see

what you have your best hatch rates with. Obviously, don't stray too far from whats

recommended.
smile.png
Happy hatching!

- Becca

In my own experience since I live in an extremely dry area I have to keep the humidity over 65% from the beginning or they shrink wrap. I kick it up to 75% and over for hatching for chicks and over 80% for ducklings. I have to add sponges to the bators to get and keep the humidity that high. Our humidity on a normal day is 7% approx. If you live in a naturally humid area you wouldn't need to keep it that high, try and find someone in your area who has hatched before and see what they used.

Having hatched birds for many years I agree with cmom. I happen to be one that dry incubates but the humidity is high here so it is usually around 40 in the 'bator (1588's) with the fan running and just enough water in the small (about 2x3 inch compartment) for enough water for the wet bulb wick.

If you do not have one GFQ makes a wet bulb thermometer/hygrometer for about $22 dollars that goes in a 5/32 hole in your bator and then you slide the wick that comes with it on the end of the thermometer shaft and the other end you put in the water either in the bottom of your bator or in a small cup. The reading you get from the thermometer with the wick on the end is the wet bulb humidity which is the only TRUE way to get a proper humidity reading.

You can get them directly from GQF or other poultry suppliers like Cutler and many others. It is WELL worth the money.
Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
My serama eggs were not hatching at all, I jacked the humidity to 80 and lowered the temp to 97.5 and maybe just a coincidence, but within hours I had the most adorable lil fluffy butts 5 total I am new to chickens, I am only telling you what I did. others have far more experience than I do. I made my first bator, but was very unhappy with the fluctuations in temp so i bought a LG 3 days into this clutch. happy with the lg for sure!!!

Quote:
I have a older GQF Sportsman and I bought a wet bulb thermometer/hygrometer for it. They also sell just a hygrometer too. I bought both for comparison. You can see it on the left side of the shelf with the water pan. I just put some eggs in it. Here is a picture of my setup. The styrofoam LG on top I use as a hatcher too.
IMG_3010.jpg

Last edited:
No-one will be able to give you the one correct answer you are looking for. You have to figure it out for yourself. Chicken eggs have to lose between 11% and 15% of their starting weight by the time they get to lockdown, and the correct humidity is the one that gets you to the correct amount of weight loss. This will depend on a number of factors, including your local weather conditions, your altitude, the type of bator you are using, and the quality of the eggs you are incubating...

In general, 40% then 65% at lockdown is a good place to start if you haven't incubated before. But whatever you decide to do, keep notes so that you can look back and decide what you might want to change for your next incubation.

Back
Top Bottom