Urgent help with baby bird we found

Update: Today he isn't chirping nearly as much but appears to have more apetite, and is eating more food but less frequently. He overall looks relative healthy and is moving around quite a lot. When we first found him we didn't know what t ogive him so we fed him some sugar water mixed with organic corn flour and he seemed to tolerate it quite well. I will send pictures again as soon as I can.

Update: There aren't many flies around our house so we can't really rely on that as a food source which is why we are considering giving him more corn flour since at least now we know he tolerated it the first night he came and it has protein. He stopped chirping completely pretty much, but otherwise looks relatively healthy. Another concern is that he has lost some feathers but maybe they're just old feathers.

Update: There aren't many flies around our house so we can't really rely on that as a food source which is why we are considering giving him more corn flour since at least now we know he tolerated it the first night he came and it has protein. He stopped chirping completely pretty much, but otherwise looks relatively healthy. Another concern is that he has lost some feathers but maybe they're just old feathers.
Why don't you just feed dog food? As I said before, that is what the wildlife rehab near me uses and that is what they told me to use. It has both animal and plant materials in it and baby birds do well on it. At least mine did. If you don't have a dog, you can get small cans.

Why don't you just feed dog food? As I said before, that is what the wildlife rehab near me uses and that is what they told me to use. It has both animal and plant materials in it and baby birds do well on it. At least mine did. If you don't have a dog, you can get small cans.
We do have a dog, so thankfully we have tons of food available. She's a cocker spaniel and eats small dog vegetable and meat food. The only issue is that it apprerently has "meat flour" and some preservatives which made me very sceptic. Would that be an issue or can he still be fed with it. We are 90% sure at this point that he is a yound hummingbird

We do have a dog, so thankfully we have tons of food available. She's a cocker spaniel and eats small dog vegetable and meat food. The only issue is that it apprerently has "meat flour" and some preservatives which made me very sceptic. Would that be an issue or can he still be fed with it. We are 90% sure at this point that he is a yound hummingbird
I have had no experience with orphan hummingbirds but I have seen videos online of people successfully raising them. I think you ought to be able to find some. Try youtube and see if you have any luck. As for the dog food, it will not hurt baby birds. If it did, the baby birds I raised and the baby birds at the rehab center would not have survived to adulthood. They did. Post another picture of the baby if you can.

I have had no experience with orphan hummingbirds but I have seen videos online of people successfully raising them. I think you ought to be able to find some. Try youtube and see if you have any luck. As for the dog food, it will not hurt baby birds. If it did, the baby birds I raised and the baby birds at the rehab center would not have survived to adulthood. They did. Post another picture of the baby if you can.
Technically he is not an orphan, the issue is that his mother made her nest pretty much on the roof of our house, right above our duck's coop. We believe he fell from there, and we often see the mother flying around. We don't know if he was kicked out of the nest or if he actually fell off because we believe she has already seen our hummingbird but wont approach him. I'll try with the dog food though, I'll report how it goes

Saw a video of a baby hummingbird that fell out of the nest. The people who found him put him in some sort of a basket outside of a window or something and the mother would come visit and feed him. Look on youtube and you may be able to find it. I saw it on facebook. Look on youtube for baby hummingbirds and maybe try google. You will never know what you can find.

I think many of those who replied missed where the OP said they were in South America and are thinking only of our tiny North American humming birds.

South America is the home to some larger species, including the the world's largest hummingbird:
main-qimg-05381d748ec4a01e96da175b67b9430b.jpeg

I think the OP is doing the right thing feeding nectar. Their diet also includes a bit of protein from tiny insects, but they shouldn't overdo it by feeding dog food. The little guy looks close to fledging. Once it can fly, keeping a hummingbird feeder available will help the little guy gain strength to face the wider world.

Back
Top Bottom