muscovymumma

In the Brooder
May 23, 2018
I need some advice!!!
I have two 10 month old female Muscovys who have recently become incredibly aggressive!
One is picking on the other by chasing her and pulling out her feathers while the second attacks my feet!
They have always been very docile, until I brought a chicken into the mix - I took her out again pretty quickly when I saw it wasn’t going well...
Ever since the ducks have been acting broody despite not laying any eggs and not wanting to leave their kennel. This has been going on for over a month but the aggression appeared only a couple days ago - help me!!!

10 months old is usually around the time my Muscovy females begin laying usually any where from 8-10 months old so yes your seeing hormonal changes. My girls will chase each other till one gives up and lays down but rarely do the pull out feathers. How bad is the feather pulling? Is it aggressive till the one being attacked is bare? As for attacking your feet best way to stop that is to lay her down on her belly just like the other female is doing hold her down One hand behind the neck to keep her from pecking you and the other hand at base of tail and back so she can't move once she settles down release her away from you, if she comes at you again do it all over again consistency is the key. and you have the duck species that will go broody at the drop of an egg. so get ready.

Yes I have hand raised them since they were a couple days old
I agree with Miss Lydia, the hormonew kick in around this time and also hand raising them can contribute to the aggression aimed at you, they see you as another duck. Mine were hand raised from eggs, one also goes for my feet. Just grab her, hold her belly to the ground like another duck would. I sit over mine, putting my weight on my heels (so I don't squish her) and hold her there till she stops struggling, and an extra minute or two after that, then release her. You do need to be consistent every time they go for you or even bite you. Don't worry about them fearing you, they won't c:

Quick update -
Thank you all so much for the help! They are back to their loving selves hunting flies and looking for belly rubs

The holding to the ground didn’t seem to work, if anything it made them angrier - taking it out on each other or my feet. Instead I chose to make a time out stool that I would plonk them on when they misbehaved. Within about 4 days of that it seemed to take effect.

Now it seems they are saying sorry as every time I give them a belly scratch they rest their forehead on my arm

Quick update -
Thank you all so much for the help! They are back to their loving selves hunting flies and looking for belly rubs

The holding to the ground didn’t seem to work, if anything it made them angrier - taking it out on each other or my feet. Instead I chose to make a time out stool that I would plonk them on when they misbehaved. Within about 4 days of that it seemed to take effect.

Now it seems they are saying sorry as every time I give them a belly scratch they rest their forehead on my arm
How sweet of them :love, glad it all worked out!

Quick update -

That's great to hear!
How did you prevent them from jumping off the stool?

Back
Top Bottom