Urgent - How soon- Re-dose with Sulmet?

Brahmadarma

Songster
11 Years
Aug 13, 2008
Can anyone tell me if it is too soon to start treating a sick bird with Sulmet. I completed the six day treatment of the whole flock, they have had four days without Sulmet.
I will isolate her again (she was the sickest one before) and tomorrow I will try to buy some Amprolium (?) Can't remember if that's the right name.
Pretty sure its still cocci - bloody poo, ruffled feathers, hunched up look, stands with eyes closed.....and she was doing so well for a few days there, preening again, looking bright. She must be a weak one I guess, the others are fine.
Any help would be much appreciated. I don't want to wait for it to get any worse.
Thanks.

Doubt it's worms. Cocci is the most likely culprit. It's been terrible this year, too, in spite of medicated feed. I've done several dosings with Sulmet trying to get the youngsters over it. Try to give them some plain yogurt once a day, plus mix in dry milk powder with their chick starter, too, maybe 1/3 of the feed. It's an old cocci remedy, usually raw milk is best, but sometimes hard to find. It coats the intestines and lessens the damage from the protozoa. I just got one chick over it myself, older than yours. He was having a hard time, but the milk products did the trick. You can also make soupy oatmeal and cool it off with buttermilk, which helps too.
http://www.cornerstone-farm.com/dealing_with_coccidiosis.htm

Last edited:
Speckled Hen, thanks for the helpful link - I just printed off their info.

Do you recommend keeping Sulmet on hand just in case, or does it expire too quickly? Where do you buy it?

Thanks Speckledhen.
Actually I have been doing that - yogurt every day, and I posted that same link to Cornerstone in the Raising Baby chicks section because I found it so hopeful - it seems we are all on the same mission !
Should I re-dose with Sulmet though, or is it too soon, I know its hard on them, maybe better to try Amprolium?
I appreciate your experienced opinion....and anyone else's.

The best thing to do is alternate meds for this. I forgot you posted that link, sorry! You buy Sulmet at most feedstores and some western stores. I keep it on hand. Not sure how long it lasts on the shelf, but probably for awhile if its kept in a cool place.

What was recomended to me was to no longer use Sulmet. A powder form called Sulmethodioxine has 3 different meds in it and I was told is more powerful in the treatment of cocci.

Last edited:
That's interesting, I will look into it tomorrow when the feed store opens. I agree with Speckledhen, varying the meds is the best way.
Thanks for your input.

I'm just still not clear on whether it is too soon to re-medicate after only four days since Sulmet.
Anyone?

Back
Top Bottom