Urgent - is this coccidiosis or dehydration/malnutrition in chicks?

I just ordered the powder version of corid on amazon and it should deliver tomorrow. In the mean time is there anything I can give to or do for the chicks to help them feel better? The sick 1 month old chicks have access to open air now, wondering if there is more that I can do for them.

Another question: Should we evacuate the 47 two week old chicks back indoors to their old brooder, or will they be fine staying there with some treatments added to their water? They are currently staying at where the sick chicks stayed at, I have layered some pine bedding in there that we have on hand.

OK the powder version dose is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. It needs to be mixed up fresh every day (24hrs) at minimum. Definitely treat EVERYONE- make sure all their water sources have the Corid powder mixed in. Give them the Corid water for 5 days. Be sure to mark on the calendar when you start because in 2 weeks you'll treat them again for 3 days.

AFTER the SECOND treatment, give them a couple of days with Nutridrench or some other Vitamin B1 supplement. But only after that 2nd treatment.

Here's a good site with a summary about coccidiosis that has the same info regarding doses etc:

https://the-chicken-chick.com/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken/

OK the powder version dose is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. It needs to be mixed up fresh every day (24hrs) at minimum. Definitely treat EVERYONE- make sure all their water sources have the Corid powder mixed in. Give them the Corid water for 5 days. Be sure to mark on the calendar when you start because in 2 weeks you'll treat them again for 3 days.

AFTER the SECOND treatment, give them a couple of days with Nutridrench or some other Vitamin B1 supplement. But only after that 2nd treatment.

Here's a good site with a summary about coccidiosis that has the same info regarding doses etc:

https://the-chicken-chick.com/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken/
Will do and the link is very informative. Thank you!

Thanks for all the replies, they have been on standard non-medicated chick starter, so they weren't getting any grit. Before they were moved into the coop they have been just fine eating. They usually have a standard water feeder and open bowls of feed, and the splattered corn pieces on the ground are adult feed spilled by the other chickens living there. Right now we have 3 coops with runs all with adult chickens and fences with too big of a gap they could run through, so letting them run free isn't exactly a safe option.. I will be trying to get corid asap, but since they are living with others now would it be safe for the non infected ones to drink it too? And should the adult chickens in other coops take it as well if they aren't showing the symptoms?
Treat ALL chickens in your flock at the same time with the Corid. Also keep it on hand for all future birds which will probably need to be treated too.

Just an update for today, corid has not arrived yet and we lost another 2 chicks. The rest are looking lethargic, pale and sick, just standing and huddled up. Is it going to be too late for them? Should I bring them indoors or give them nutridrench in the mean time?
Poor things. Give them Nutri-Drench as see what happens.

Thanks, I brought them indoors and gave them some nutridrench water for the time being.
Since they weren't on medicated feed before, will it help if we got them medicated feed in combination with corid treatment? To my understanding it is the lack of a vitamin that suppresses coccidiosis, and the reason why they should not have any nutridrench during treatment until after. So, will them being on regular feed counteract the treatment, or will medicated feed somehow disrupt the corid treatment?

Edit: They were on Dumor Chick Starter/Grower up until last week, then they were on "Manna Pro Family Farm Medicated Chick Starter Crumble Chicken Feed, 50lbs." The dumor one does not seem to be labeled as medicated.

Last edited:
Don't give Nutri-Drench or vitamins while using the Corid.

Don't feed medicated feed while using it either.

You have been feeding them medicated feed already?

Yes.. they were switched to the Manna Pro medicated version this week, and that is currently all we have, other than scratch grains for the older chicks and chickens. Which one would be better for them, if we currently have no other options?

Edit update: Just came back with corid, they seem more active eating and drinking after some nutridrench 😃
I swapped out the water for corid mixture and they are drinking with no problems. I also checked the packaging of the Manna Pro feed, and nowhere on the packaging does it mention being medicated, however the same packaging on walmart claims so: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Manna-Pr...-Starter-Crumble-Chicken-Feed-50-lbs/43924108
Dose for powdered Corid is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Check to make sure you are giving the correct dose.

Just an update for today, corid has not arrived yet and we lost another 2 chicks. The rest are looking lethargic, pale and sick, just standing and huddled up. Is it going to be too late for them? Should I bring them indoors or give them nutridrench in the mean time?

Back
Top Bottom