Urgent- Leghorn with fluidy sounding breathing, lethargic

Ss74

Chirping
Jul 22, 2020
My appx 1 year old leghorn has suddenly presented with labored, raily/wet sounding breathing. She hasn’t laid an egg in several months. In the last 24/36 hours she had been lethargic but now is hardly moving. Anyone have any thoughts?

My appx 1 year old leghorn has suddenly presented with labored, raily/wet sounding breathing. She hasn’t laid an egg in several months. In the last 24/36 hours she had been lethargic but now is hardly moving. Anyone have any thoughts?
Have you checked her crop function?
Have you checked her for ascites?

Have you checked her crop function?
Have you checked her for ascites?

Her abdomen definitely is distended. Not sure if she’s egg bound or ascites. She hasn’t laid an egg in months. She was acting otherwise normal til yesterday

Her abdomen definitely is distended. Not sure if she’s egg bound or ascites. She hasn’t laid an egg in months. She was acting otherwise normal til yesterday
It sounds like ascites. I've lost two WLHs with similar symptoms. I had them euthanized when got to the point their quality of life had degraded such that they looked like they were suffering.

Are there any treatment options beside comfort?
You could try to drain the fluid in the abdomen and it might bring short term relief. You can YouTube "draining ascites in chicken". Be aware that the procedure can sometimes kill the hen. Unfortunately, whatever is causing the fluid build up cannot be cured.
I prefer to end the suffering vs prolong the inevitable.

Back
Top Bottom