Urgent!! Live Chick In Cracked Egg

Jaguar6

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Hello,

I was tossing out the bad eggs in my incubator and low and behold there was 1 live in chick in one of them. A part of the shell is missing because I thought the egg was bad and started opening it to see what went wrong. I didn't know if I should seal it back up or not. So I put a sterile gauze on the crack and taped it. Do you think the chick will live and pip through the rest or should I help it out?

Too late it died....I am not touching the last 2 just in case....will leave in bator a few more days.

This past fall I had something like this happen to me.
I had a hatch where about 6 hatched out and were out for about 3 days.
On this 3rd day I opened up the incubator, removed the chicks and placed them in the brooder.
About two hours later I heard a cherp coming from the incubator. There was a chick that was hatching out when I had opened the incubator eariler. The hole was on the bottom and I didn't notice it when I removed the others.

I helped the chick out of the shell and placed him in the brooder with the others.

some of the dried membrane stayed stuck to him for a few days but then fell off.

He did fine to my surprise.

I wouldn't do this as a habit but once that membrane dries out you either help the chick out or it is going to die.

Litewings
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom