URGENT!! my chick is foaming at the mouth!!!

mom wewantchicks!

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
buckhannon,wv
my little mixed breed chick is foaming! its about 6-7 weeks old and was fine earlier. went out to check and it had foam/spit in its mouth. when it shook its head it flug around like a slobbery dog!! they have water and food,still eating chick starter and crop is empty,although i saw it eating this morning. when i went to feel his crop,it felt empty,but i feel something almost hard farther up in his throat. any advise or ideas? id hate to choke him by sticking anything in there,or just let him drown in his own spit!! ok help!!!

My thought would be something stuck in the throat.

maybe offer some grit and sugar water (because sweet is more tempting and more likely to be drank)... But someone will help you, just wait a few minutes.

Quote:
well thanks! i was afraid to offer water,that he might choke!! ugh i swear when i first got chickens i was like,oh they are just chickens!! yeah right that lasted about 5 minutes LOL!! anyone else with ideas??

maybe it ate a beetle?
this would make all the mess in the throat and crop
they foam at the mouth when eating beetles

I have seen adult female old english game bantams die from eating a darkling beetle that makes meal worms
they can poison the chicken
that is why I was always so determined not to have them around my chickens ever

try and put some apple cider vinegar in water
1 tbsp for cup of water
and see if it helps the foaming
take a straw and draw the acv water up in it and put your finger over the straw and then let it go into the mouth of the chick
try and get it to upchuck
chickens do not throw up they
regurgatate the mess
so in this case do this

after the acv water is consumed then mix
1/2 cup of baking soda and 1 pt of water
now with same method and straw take and put sveral straws full of soda water
and having the chick on a table bring your fingers up thru the breast under the crop and force the problem out of the chicks mouth
using force do not be easy as your the one that has to force the mess out of his throat and crop

keep us posted

you will need to feed it natural probiotic recipe for its system to get good gut flora
after this is over
email me PM for the recipe

also where was this bird at? free ranging or ordinary chicken pen?
could it have gotten some large kernels of corn?

this can choke a large fowl chicken let alone a chick

UPDATE!!!! well as of right now he seems fine!! in the few minutes it took me to get some sugar water and grit,the lump was gone!!! i went back out and he was just pecking around,like whats up with you mom? ugh!! i was freakin!!! he is in a little pen with two others,to little to let free range by themselves!! before i even posted i had tried looking down the throat,saw nothing! and had done a masage,maybe thats what helped?!? i was thinking beetle myself,idk the different kinds but we have been having them aroudn the porch light at night. well ive been leaving the light on cause the dumb things just wreck into the door and die!! the big chickens think they are a special treat and noone is dead,so maybe they are not poisinous?!?! maybe my little one was just not big enough for a beetle!! thanks everyone!! wow,just image if the doctors would call you back as quick as you get answers on this forum!! (at 2am when your freaking about a baby with a fever!!!)

that is the thing
every ones problem is special to them
and it is a learning, observing hobby keeping chickens
so gos the helping is also rewarding learning for us all
hopefully the Apple cider vinegar will put their systems on go!
Also the natural probiotic wet mash is a very helpful body wise thing

Back
Top Bottom