URGENT Newborn head pecked ER

hollyd37

Hatching
May 23, 2016
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Newborn 1 day old silky #12, who is 1-2 weeks younger than siblings, is terribly injured. Her head has been pecked. It appears there are pecked holes on top of her head, and her fur is gone up there, seems swollen and throbbing. She was with the 2 broody mamas being babied and cared for, while other 2 mamas tended to older 11. Somehow, in a few hours, she was injured. We are taking her inside to brooder, alone. What can we do, please?

Apply some Vetericyn or weak betadine to her wound. You don't want to use antibiotic ointment, since that may cause burning under a heat lamp in the brooder. She will need heat to survive. Put some vitamins with electrolytes (such as SaveAChick) in her water, and get her to drink by dipping her beak letting her swallow between drinks. Sprinkle some chick feed around her feet on paper towel to get her to eat. Hopefully she will survive. When she starts to heal, it would be good for her to have another chick for company. A small mirror or stuffed animal may help for now. BluKote spray on her wound will help to hide the red from pecking once the skin scabs over. She may need to be placed back with the others for a few weeks in a cage to get accepted back into the flock.

Thank you very much for your input. I went to mercantile and was told Pick No More by Rooster Booster (similar to Blue Kote) would help her wounds heal. Pecking is not currently an issue. Does this sound right? I will ask for the medicine you suggested. She is eating and drinking when we hand feed her, and she is sleeping a lot. We put a stuffed animal that she snuggles with, and when her eyes open, we will put a mirror. Right now they are swollen shut :( We are so hopeful for this sweet little baby. Thanks again.

Pick no more will only help to prevent pecking, but it is not meant for wound treatment. I would use weakened betadine or iodine, or saline to treat her wounds. Clean the eyes if the become stuck or crusted with saline. It can be painful when a chick is pecked like this to both of you. Vetericyn wound spray is a good product to use from feed stores.

I agree with Eggcessive. Those BlueKote & Picknomore products are better left on the store shelf. They're a mess, they're not intended to clean wounds and they prevent you from assessing whether an injury is becoming infected early enough to intervene. It also does NOT prevent the other birds from picking the injured bird, so it creates a false sense of security. Always keep injured birds separated from the rest of the flock until they are 100% healed with no visible sign of injury. If you don't, the flock will often continue to pick at and sometimes kill the injured bird.

This morning I had to put a 2.5 month old chick down due to the mama hen "scalping" him in the coop overnight. He was born with some leg issues. Therefore mama did not accept him. Sadly, I have another wonderful baby that is a dwarf with a genetic defect. The adult hens and baby roosters pick on her too. Eventually they would have done the same to her as they did to the baby this morning. With my flock and in my own experience, the weaker/smaller babies always get picked and pecked on by the adults. I could be wrong- but this being intentional, I would say they will probably do it again. Definitely keep her separated. Good luck!!

Newborn 1 day old silky #12, who is 1-2 weeks younger than siblings, is terribly injured. Her head has been pecked. It appears there are pecked holes on top of her head, and her fur is gone up there, seems swollen and throbbing. She was with the 2 broody mamas being babied and cared for, while other 2 mamas tended to older 11. Somehow, in a few hours, she was injured. We are taking her inside to brooder, alone. What can we do, please?
It seems that your chick was trying to do a little social climbing and the older biddies took objection at being demoted on the social register, so they settled things the old fashion way, with blood and muscle. Your chick will likely be fine but she may turn out to not be a he. Vaseline works well to treat peck fight damage on chicks.

Last edited:
I am grateful for all your input and caring. This website is such a gift. Sadly, this little one's injuries were too much, and she passed away in my hands this morning. I know we did all we could, and we have learned, as well. If any further chicks are born now, we will separate them from the 2-3 week olds immediately, even if that means raising them indoors in brooder. These sweet little creatures, such pure happiness, and tragic when ya lose one!

It seems that your chick was trying to do a little social climbing and the older biddies took objection at being demoted on the social register, so they settled things the old fashion way, with blood and muscle. Your chick will likely be fine but she may turn out to not be a he. Vaseline works well to treat peck fight damage on chicks.
the chick was one day old. they don't tend to act that way at such a young age. the older chicks, however.....

Back
Top Bottom