Scalped to the Skull, Pullet Silkie

Hey all, after 3 days of drinking, and 2 of those days having some egg yolk, she is now suddenly unresponsive. She is limp, but she is alive. When I touch her she may do nothing, or she might beat me with a wing. More frequently she just twitches her head a little.

What can I do? I have her laid so that

I guess just....... see what happens? I always post about this, but a few years ago, I had a bird named Angel Bone. long story short: this was back when I lived in the city. she jumped over the fence, got ripped up by the neighbor's dog, FLEW BACK OVER THE FENCE, and for the rest of her life, had an exposed joint showing through her feathers. if you looked at her right as she stretched her wing, you could see the inner workings of her shoulder. she lived like that for a year and a half, and would have probably lived longer, if my mom hadn't slaughtered all the chickens when we moved. I live out in the country now, and my mom says we can have as many chickens as I can hatch:yesss:
I've been sitting on floor with her for almost an hour. definitely waiting to see what happens. I got some yolk and sugar water down the hatch, she then shook her head of (flung a little bit of stray water) then immediately went back to the old symptoms.

@Eggcessive is giving you great advice. Keep that wound very clean and covered in antibiotic. Keep her warm and in a quiet area. I wouldn’t suggest forcing her eyes open. Gently swipe antibiotic over the eyelids. Some will get into the creases. I hope she will pull through. It happened with one of my quail years ago. She amazingly made a full recovery. Supportive care is all you really can supply at this point, if you can’t get her to a vet.

Maybe your hen is going through a lot of stress and trauma right now so maybe that's why she is unresponsive?
You are doing everything you can :thumbsup
Yes, I would say get rid of the bully or separate them in case the bully doesn't hurt anyone else.

Try offering different things such as canned tuna or salmon, or ground meat, in tiny bits in addition to the moistened chicken feed and egg. Maybe something will interest her, but fluids are best. Human B complex vitamins 1/2 tablet crushed or something like Poultry NutriDrench 3 drops might boost her appetite and give a boost. Let us know how she gets along. Here is a post about a scalped hen, and in post 11 is a picture after healing of a hen:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/badly-injured-hen-by-a-rooster.1602722/page-2#post-27271746

Back
Top Bottom