URGENT. Peeps, how can I dress a wound in a chicken.

JLeigh

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
North Georgia
I know this is a guinea forum, please forgive me, but my chickens were attacked by two dogs today. One has a serious wound, but doesn't seem to be bleeding externally. I want to try to tape/bandage the wound - it's on her rump and seems to go all the way to the muscle. Husband took pictures. I'll upload asap. But we're going to try to get it covered for now to avoid infection, but it will need to be done right. I also want to know if you think she needs to be culled. She seems fine - but then she's definitely NOT fine. HELP! Stay tuned! More to follow

I had a hen that was attacked by an eagle while I watched. I ran up screaming and the eagle flew off, but she already had a very deep puncture at her hip, and then at her front a large area of skin was torn open.

The puncture wound was super deep, I pulled out a VERY long feather that had been pushed into the wound, it was so nasty... That wound I left alone and did nothing to. Since it was so deep I was worried that I would cause more harm than good if I closed it.

At her front though, there was a large flap of skin, it was large and ragged enough that it was difficult to figure out how to piece it all back together. I patted it all clean (damp then dry paper towels) and picked out any dirt that didn't wash out. I don't think I used any soap, but now I can't remember. I then got a shot glass full of vodka a needle and thread. I soaked the needle and thread in the vodka to help sterilize them, and then sewed her together.

Se must have been in so much shock, she never struggled as I had to REALLY push the needle through her skin, and you would think the vodka would make it sting.

Anyway, for about two days she sat sad, but alive, under a table I have in the chicken run. I put food and water rot next to her and made sure that none of the other chickens bothered her.

AND SHE HEALED JUST FINE!

I still can't believe it.

The giant sewing together area healed great, there were a few little pieces of skin that I hadn't managed to patch together as well, and they simply dried up and then fell off.

I never saw any signs of infection.

I know this is a guinea forum, please forgive me, but my chickens were attacked by two dogs today. One has a serious wound, but doesn't seem to be bleeding externally. I want to try to tape/bandage the wound - it's on her rump and seems to go all the way to the muscle. Husband took pictures. I'll upload asap. But we're going to try to get it covered for now to avoid infection, but it will need to be done right. I also want to know if you think she needs to be culled. She seems fine - but then she's definitely NOT fine. HELP! Stay tuned! More to follow
Birds are pretty resilient, once you get her wound cleaned and medicated she'll probably heal fine. Stay positive JL, lol.

Do you know how to mix up a batch of Dakin's solution (<~~ click there for a link to recipe)? It does not last very long so you may want to reduce the recipe by half (and make a fresh batch every few days, and wash her wound with it at least every couple of days while she heals).

For now, until you can make some Dakin's, I'd wash her wound with a 50/50 mix of water and hydrogen peroxide, pat it dry and then slather on some plain Neosporin (not with pain relief). You can cover the wound with gauze pads and wrap her with vet wrap if it's that severe, but allowing it to get some fresh air would be better, IMO (but I have not seen the wound yet, and if it's really gaping open but all the skin is still in tact I'd not hesitate to put a couple stitches in it...).

Once you get her bandaged up I'd keep her crated/caged near the flock where they can see her but not cannibalize her wound while she heals. Once she starts healing, clean up the Neosporin mess on her and then coat her with an antiseptic for livestock called Blu-Kote (sold at most feed/farm stores that carry medications for cattle and horses). It's purple, will cover and stain her wound and bare skin and should help keep the other birds from pecking at it. She can go back in with the flock at that time, but keep an eye on them all to make sure they are not picking on her or pecking at the wound.

Put a fresh clove of garlic in her water (crush it but leave it whole), garlic is a natural antibiotic...
Once you post pics if I have any other advice I'll reply, but... this is what I'd do if it were my bird.

Last edited:
Also, there is another livestock wound medication called NuStock... if you can't find the Blu-kote, look for that. It's got a nasty taste and smell (from the pine tar in it) so the birds should leave her wound alone with a good layer of that on there too. I'd use just the Neosporin and Dakin's solution (or water and peroxide mix) for at least a few days tho.

Last edited:
If you're squeamish - don't look at these pictures. They're pretty gruesome. I have her in a cage in the basement to keep her from moving around too much. We sort of tried to tape it shut, but that didn't work at all. The wound is just too big, and we couldn't get anything to stick. She's not bleeding, which I find amazing.

She's eating, walking around, running when I tried to catch her - - but, again, I don't hold out much hope. Is there ANYTHING I can do, or should I just go ahead and euthanize her?

I think PeepsCA gave you some good advice. I'm a retired nurse, and chickens amaze me with healing. Just clean it out even with water from your spray hose in the kitchen sink to get out any debris. Neosporin is in most medicine cabinets. Isolate her in a cage, but keep her in the coop. Get the BluKote to spray on when she has healed enough to go back with the group--it contains alcohol plus gentian violet, an antifungal/antiseptic and the blue color will prevent pecking. If she is strong enough to eat and run around she should be alright.

Wow. you guys are GREAT. I mean that. I'm about to jump out of my skin, and was ready to get out the ax, and you guys calmly talk me down off the ledge.

The link to the Dakin's solution doesn't work, but I'll look it up online and make it up. Right now, I'm going to mix the 50/50 water/hydrogen peroxide and do that. Then I'm going to get the Blu-kote or the other stuff.

I'm going to suggest to husband that we stitch it up, too. Should I do all the cleaning before or after the stitching? I hope he doesn't pass out - I think I can do it though. Do I need to really stitch it like I would a seam, or can I just put a few in "strategically" to close it up?

I lost one hen today. But I would like to try everything possible to keep the two hens remaining. The rooster we got to protect the hens? He ran off to hide in the woods and doesn't have a mark on him. The Rhode Island Red just has some puncture wounds - not many - and I put Neosporin (no pain med) on it and am watching her closely.

Thanks Peeps and Alaskan. I hope you'll stay in touch so I can get help again if I need it.
fl.gif

Edit: And Eggcessive! Sorry I missed your post while I was typing this one! ;).

Last edited:
So, I'm going to wait on doing any stitching until you guys see the wound. Still think I should stitch? Hubby says he can do it and still remain conscious :). I might pass out though. Do you guys use a regular sewing needle? Also, I have some nylon thread. Would that be okay to use or should I use cotton thread?

Ehhh, that's ugly, but she'll heal. You can stitch it and wrap it if you want, but it should start growing new skin around the edges and closing up on it's own within a few days, especially if you keep the Neosporin slathered on. It may take a couple weeks to fully heal but she'll live. Hardest part will be keeping the other birds from pecking at/on it. That's where the Blu-Kote comes in.

Hope you took care of that dog... where was that dang pellet gun???

LOL.. pass out.

Actually I wouldn't bother stitching it, but she would probably heal faster if you did put in a couple stitches. Regular thread, or thin fishing line, even dental floss will work. Just disinfect it before you start sewing. A regular needle is fine (disinfect that too), as long as the thread fits thru the eye.

Good luck, don't hit your head on the way down!

Back
Top Bottom