How to Treat Duck with Neck Wounds?

RidiculousName

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2023
Little Egypt
One of my ancona ducks was wounded. I don't know by what, but I suspect either a stray cat because she appears to have been bitten on the neck, but hasn't been killed, so I am assuming whatever attacked her tried to drag her away without shaking her.

I just walked outside because one of my dogs had been barking at something outside of the window, and an uninjured duck was on the wrong side of the short fence I put up to deter my ducks from getting too close to the woods on the west side of my home. I went to put her back on the right side of the fence, and noticed three of my ducks were further from each other than I had ever seen them, and I couldn't find the fourth.

I walked around a bit until I saw her just waddle out of the western woods with blood all over her neck. I poured warm water over the wounds, dabbled it dry with paper towels, and sprayed some vetericyn on it. I noticed later that the vetericyn was four months out of date, so I'll be buying something new tomorrow.. I didn't try to bandage it, because I have no way to keep a bandage on her neck.

Feathers obscured the wounds, but they appear to be very small. There seem to be at least three of them, two on the left side of her neck, and one on the right.

She has lost a lot of blood, and is very lethargic. I herded her back in her coop with her friends.

I think she will survive the night, since the bleeding seems to have stopped. I have read up on caring for duck wounds, and I think I need an oral antibiotic, and a new topical antibiotic to replace the vetericyn I used.

What antibiotics would you recommend? Are there any dosage guides for oral antibiotics applied to ducks?

@RidiculousName you really need to bring her inside so you can keep an eye on her make sure she is eating and drinking and your able to clean the wound and keep the flies off of her. You don't want maggots in there. I'd trim the feathers back away from the wounds so you can see them better and keep the wound cleaner. Veterycin is good to use. Baytril is easy to buy from https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Thank you, everyone. I have taken her inside.

She is in a closet right now, and I have given her tapwater mixed with some gatorade and a little honey. I also gave her some feed, it's mostly her regular 16%-protein feed, but I included a little bit of her old 20%-protein duckling crumbles.

Her breathing is audible and labored, and she has hardly moved. She laid her head down shortly after this photo was taken.

I will try to buy the Baytril, but I have become worried it will require a prescription. I have not been able to find an avian vet. I have a vet for my dogs that I could ask, but I don't know if they'll want to see her first.

thumbnail.jpeg

I'm sorry everyone, she has died from shock. I tried nudging her gently, and her body appears to have gone into rigor-mortis.

This was my fault. I will make sure I have the right tools and knowledge prepared next time. Maybe I can relocate that cat, if that's what hurt her.

I'm sorry everyone, she has died from shock. I tried nudging her gently, and her body appears to have gone into rigor-mortis.

This was my fault. I will make sure I have the right tools and knowledge prepared next time. Maybe I can relocate that cat, if that's what hurt her.
Sorry for your loss.
I'd get a camera for your out door area, unless you have massive feral cats, I don't think a cat you take a duck.

I am so sorry for your loss. I too don't think it was a stray cat. But a mink will go for the throat and even though they are very small could drag one off. Weseal also raccoon would have more than likely killed her right off. A game camera would help a lot because what ever it was will be back. Keep the rest inside a penned area. [Hopefully covered on top] and locked up at night. It's the only way we can protect them.

Back
Top Bottom