URGENT - Please help! Duck has prolapsed vent

He'll probably spit some of it out, but as long as you just go in short bursts he won't choke. Probably a few CC's at a time, about a third of a syringe (depending on its size). Just watch his movements, his reactions, and give him time to swallow. It's like when they drink, they shift their bills and let it go down their throats. They'll also sorta shake their head, and you'll end up wearing a few spatters of slurry. Comes with the territory!

It's tough losing a pet, but it seems to help hearing from other people. I'm glad I was able to share. Also glad to hear you found a new friend for Donnie. Keep us posted on how they get along, I'm having to contend with naughty children who won't play nice now!
th.gif

I am so sorry for the loss of your dear duck. Hopefully, Donnie will recuperate and be just fine.

I did want to share some info about a prolapsed vent though - not a duck, but the info may still be helpful. My small bantam cochin hen had a prolapsed vent last October. It scared me to death and I didn't know what to do. I immediately started looking on this sight for info and everywhere else on the internet and in books. I finally decided to try a combination of things. Poor little thing was a real trooper - let me do whatever I needed to do.
smile.png
Twice a day, I cleaned her vent with warm running water in my laundry sink. I made sure it was clean, blotted it dry, sprayed it with Vetericyn hyrdrogel, applied Preparation H and gently pushed it back in. I kept her in a cage on my patio (letting her out occasionally to dust bathe and forage), because I was afraid the other chickens or ducks might peck at her vent and kill her. I did this day after day. She acted like she felt fine and even occasionally layed an egg (to my dismay!). So, I kept on doing it. I thought she would probably just catch an infection and not make it, but decided as long as she was acting healthy and put up with it, I would continue. In late January, all of a sudden, the vent stayed in on its own - 3 months later. She went back to laying eggs daily and it has not prolapsed again since. She, or rather I, was lucky. The regime and persistence seemed to work...

Oh wow! Thank you for that bit of experience, GardenFarmGirl!
thumbsup.gif

Heaven forbid, but if that should happen to either of my other girls (or to my rascal Welsh Harlequin hen when she starts laying), I will have a strategy. Because the books I've read say that a prolapse can happen again, but then don't really address how to treat that. Apparently there are injections that can make hens stop ovulating temporarily, but you have to have a vet who knows what they're doing with waterfowl. Not that easy to find!

Thanks to everyone for sharing. And here's to Minnie and Sarah.

Update! Donnie got a new compantion today!! When he heard her quack he just started screaming with excitement....I think he thought Minnie was back.
hit.gif
He looked a bit disappointed when he saw the duck, but after a few minutes he seemd a bit interested. I think they will get along. I have a fence in between them for tonight and I think I will let them be together tomorrow and watch them to see their interaction. She is a really pretty 7 month old Pekin. Just glad he is no longer alone.

Thanks again everyone for your support through this.

Update! Donnie got a new compantion today!! When he heard her quack he just started screaming with excitement....I think he thought Minnie was back.
hit.gif
He looked a bit disappointed when he saw the duck, but after a few minutes he seemd a bit interested. I think they will get along. I have a fence in between them for tonight and I think I will let them be together tomorrow and watch them to see their interaction. She is a really pretty 7 month old Pekin. Just glad he is no longer alone.

Thanks again everyone for your support through this.
thumbsup.gif
so happy for you and Donnie let us know how it goes.

Awesommmeeeee!!!
clap.gif
Bless his poor little heart, I bet he did think it was his old pal. But he will be right as rain with his new girl in no time!
love.gif

Donnie is so happy with his new friend, Marie.
tongue.png
I kept a fence between them for the first day but the following morning I just had a hunch that they would be fine together. Sure enough they are already like two peas in a pod following each other around the yard. Donnie is eating like his old self again and we are all feeling much better about everything, although we still miss Minnie like crazy.

By the way have any of you heard of a Pekin that lays green/blue eggs? Minnie always laid a greenish/blue egg. She looked pure Pekin and we got her as a Pekin from TSC....but with the colored egg does that mean she was mixed with another breed?

Donnie is so happy with his new friend, Marie.
tongue.png
I kept a fence between them for the first day but the following morning I just had a hunch that they would be fine together. Sure enough they are already like two peas in a pod following each other around the yard. Donnie is eating like his old self again and we are all feeling much better about everything, although we still miss Minnie like crazy.

By the way have any of you heard of a Pekin that lays green/blue eggs? Minnie always laid a greenish/blue egg. She looked pure Pekin and we got her as a Pekin from TSC....but with the colored egg does that mean she was mixed with another breed?
Not sure on egg color but wanted to say how happy i am that things are going so well for Donnie, I know it all makes you happy. Pics when you can.

Well I only have the one female Pekin but her eggs are white-white (that's southern for "really white";) )

Oh this ending just warms my heart. Please post pics!!!

Back
Top Bottom