URGENT -Pullet not acting right

dbounds10

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
This is Kitty, yesterday she was acting totally normal. Today I wasn’t able to get out to sit with them until like 6 pm and she just wasn’t right. Walking around with tail down and sometimes eyes closed. Her crop was totally empty. I got out some Soldier flies to see if she would eat anything and she did eat those, them picked at the food but didn’t eat. I did see her drink several times. I did see her poop and it looked like a normal cecal poop. I didn’t see anything unusual on the poop board. They are on all flock 20%. She is 12 weeks old. She keeps adjusting her crop but there’s nothing in it. She’s still pretty active if I try to pick her up. But if I’m not chasing her she just walks around slow, sometimes with her eyes closed or lays down. No one else has symptoms. Taggin a few folks that always seem to have advice but all is welcome
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive
@azygous @aart @nuthatched
View media item 7955780

What is the egg photo and how is it related to this three-month old pullet and her issues?

The video is awfully small to show us much. But it does look like she's experiencing some crop discomfort. I understand you believe her crop is empty, but feel it again very carefully after feeling another hen's crop so you have a better idea of what a normal crop feels like. Feel for anything hard or sharp or not belonging in a crop. Then you need to double check her crop in the morning to see if it's empty or somehow became full overnight. Checking a crop first thing in the morning is the only way to accurately tell if a crop is functioning normally.

Here is an instructional article so you are aware of the various crop issues in poultry. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

What is the egg photo and how is it related to this three-month old pullet and her issues?

The video is awfully small to show us much. But it does look like she's experiencing some crop discomfort. I understand you believe her crop is empty, but feel it again very carefully after feeling another hen's crop so you have a better idea of what a normal crop feels like. Feel for anything hard or sharp or not belonging in a crop. Then you need to double check her crop in the morning to see if it's empty or somehow became full overnight. Checking a crop first thing in the morning is the only way to accurately tell if a crop is functioning normally.

Here is an instructional article so you are aware of the various crop issues in poultry. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I didn’t post an egg photo? The video shows full size for me. Let me upload it to YouTube. I checked several other of my birds crops in comparison and I couldn’t even find hers. I will check it again in the morning. When I look at the video on this post it’s full size. Anyway give me a minute ans I will tag you

I didn’t post an egg photo? The video shows full size for me. Let me upload it to YouTube. I checked several other of my birds crops in comparison and I couldn’t even find hers. I will check it again in the morning. When I look at the video on this post it’s full size. Anyway give me a minute ans I will tag you
Ok here it is on youtube
@azygous @aart @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @nuthatched

It looks like her crop is full in the video and she is adjusting it. There may be something stuck or she could have an impacted or doughy crop. I would run you hand up and down the right upper chest and abdomen. It should be full in the evening and then normally would be empty in early morning, after no food or water all night long. The article @azygous linked is helpful.

It does appear she has a crop disorder. Get back to us after you check her crop in the morning. Be sure she hasn't eaten or drunk anything before you check it.

What is the egg photo
It's in her signature, and distractingly large.
It should be full in the evening and then normally would be empty in early morning, after no food or water all night long.
Ditto Dat^^^
Crate her overnight with no feed or water.
Check early morning for empty crop and dropping status.

Ditto Dat^^^
Ok I will check when I lock them up tonight. They have no access to food or water until I put it in the run so I can check again in the morning. I thought it looked full as well but she was also looking kinda puffed up with her head sagging down like the cocci stance. I have no idea about the egg pic or how it got there or how to remove it. I don’t recall ever creating a signature lol

I checked her crop when they went up to roost and she does have food in there. I was just not feeling the right spot. Nothing feels hard or sharp but will check again in the morning. Thanks guys, you always have great advice and help with my massive anxiety 😳

Ditto Dat^^^

I have no idea about the egg pic or how it got there or how to remove it. I don’t recall ever creating a signature
Click on your user name, then signature and edit your signature(both circled here):
1686190380132.png

Back
Top Bottom