Urgent Quail-Chicken Dilemma

Kneedles

Songster
7 Years
Jul 22, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
I currently have a housing-related problem with my chicken that I desperately need help with.
About a fortnight ago, I pre-ordered a pair of Button Quails, and now that I know about how lethal chickens can be to them (in more ways than one), I understand that I must keep them away from my hen at all times. However, I am not sure where to keep my quails. My original plan was to put them in the bottom floor of the coop (inaccessible to my hen), but I now know that doing that would almost certainly be fatal to them. I now plan to keep them in a cage as a temporary house, but I am not sure where to keep the cage. My only sensible option is to put it in the laundry, but because my hen lived there at the beginning of the year, my quails will probably still have a chance of catching a disease derived from my hen.
It has been suggested that I give my hen back to her original owners in order to keep the quails safe (which was actually the original plan when I was first given it), but I do not want to do so anymore. The fact that I apparently need to thoroughly clean my hands between handling my hen and handling the quails will probably further the complication.
At this point, the quails could be ready for purchase any day now. What should I do? Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom