URGENT, Revived duckling won’t hold up head

Fangeddeer

Songster
Apr 23, 2023
I just revived my ducking whom supposedly got suffocated under the nest, they’re moving everything along with their head but they keep lowering it. Do I continue cpr? Hold the head up? Pls help

How is the duckling now?
Running around, holding up head, jumping n talking but idk what to do?? It keeps running n cuddling with me but it has no siblings at all and I have a brooder but when I brooded a lonely chick it died. But if I give it back to the mom it might die

Running around, holding up head, jumping n talking but idk what to do?? It keeps running n cuddling with me but it has no siblings at all and I have a brooder but when I brooded a lonely chick it died. But if I give it back to the mom it might die
It sounds like it is doing better then. Did it have any hatch mates that you could put with it? Can you remove the nest to just a floor so it can't go under anything? How was the mother with it?

It sounds like it is doing better then. Did it have any hatch mates that you could put with it? Can you remove the nest to just a floor so it can't go under anything? How was the mother with it?
The other hatch mates died, one was buried under the nest like this one was and cpr didn’t bring it back. The dad mauled two and the last one downed in the yolk of the egg. I ruined the nest to find it but when I found it I immediately did cpr and now it’s okay :,)

I could give the mom bedding for a new nest since as soon as she saw her baby alive she started building one: and I have a safe kennel. But I don’t know if it’s safe even if I took it in

The other hatch mates died, one was buried under the nest like this one was and cpr didn’t bring it back. The dad mauled two and the last one downed in the yolk of the egg. I ruined the nest to find it but when I found it I immediately did cpr and now it’s okay :,)

I could give the mom bedding for a new nest since as soon as she saw her baby alive she started building one: and I have a safe kennel. But I don’t know if it’s safe even if I took it in
Do you have shavings that you could use instead? They're a lot lighter and are harder to get trapped underneath. I'd keep the drake far away from it. Some males aren't good with the young. If you can, have the kennel where you can watch them closely for a few days (as long as it's not a huge temperature shock for the mother).

Do you have shavings that you could use instead? They're a lot lighter and are harder to get trapped underneath. I'd keep the drake far away from it. Some males aren't good with the young. If you can, have the kennel where you can watch them closely for a few days (as long as it's not a huge temperature shock for the mother).
Should I put the kennel in my room?

Should I put the kennel in my room?
I wouldn't recommend your bedroom for sanitary reasons, but if that's the safest place in your house and isn't a huge temperature shock, then it might be fine. Do you have a basement that you could put the kennel in? Or are you able to check on them quite often if they were in an outdoor building. (If they're somewhere in your house where you'll be near them, you should be able to hear if something is amiss.)

I wouldn't recommend your bedroom for sanitary reasons, but if that's the safest place in your house and isn't a huge temperature shock, then it might be fine. Do you have a basement that you could put the kennel in? Or are you able to check on them quite often if they were in an outdoor building. (If they're somewhere in your house where you'll be near them, you should be able to hear if something is amiss.)
Sadly we don’t have a basement. And where they are outside isn’t close enough to be heard. But, we have another room that’s already a bit messed up from the goats being in there that would possibly be okay? And I’m using wood shaving

Sadly we don’t have a basement. And where they are outside isn’t close enough to be heard. But, we have another room that’s already a bit messed up from the goats being in there that would possibly be okay? And I’m using wood shaving
That room sounds like it'd be good.

Back
Top Bottom