!URGENT! Sick and injured duckling, needing advice.

Origami

Hatching
Apr 22, 2018
Hey there! Sorry for any spelling errors, I'm writing quickly. Yesterday afternoon my dog jumped our fence and got a hold of two ducklings following their mom. One sadly did not make it and I'm caring for the other. Yesterday she was great, How ever I suspect both of her legs are broken. She refuses to move them and won't put them under her, just keeps them behind her. DarkWing was as normal as she can, scooting around on her wings and she did drink and eat a bit of mushed up dog food. I got her comfy and warm and went to sleep. Today, I woke up and looked in the box and she's laying on her side, barely moving, breathing heavily, refuses to eat or drink, and is fighting to stay awake it seems. Every time she lays her head down she shoots back up shaking her head and flapping her wings. This is the first time I've had a duck in my care and I'm pretty scared for her. I tried giving her a tiny bit of hard boiled egg but she ignores it and won't drink water either. She's not moving much either, besides shaking her head. What should I do? I feel lost and useless to her at the moment.

I would contact your veterinarian. It sounds like she has something serious going on. Most likely internal injuries. :( I’m sorry I couldn’t give you any better advice, but it sounds like she’s not doing well at all

I would contact your veterinarian. It sounds like she has something serious going on. Most likely internal injuries. :( I’m sorry I couldn’t give you any better advice, but it sounds like she’s not doing well at all
I would love to go to a vet but I don't think I can. There's no bird vets near me. Do I just have to let her be comfortable and keep an eye on her?

Back
Top Bottom