URGENT~ SOFT SHELLED EGGS AND A LETHARGIC DUCK!!!

I live in Cleveland MS and I have no idea where any avian vets are around here. There is one about 2 and a half hours away from here that I call when Quackers had bumble foot and they said they had a doctor that did waterfowl (ducks) but I don't know if he is going to be in on Monday. I guess I will call them tomorrow and ask. If he is then I will take her up there.
Also if you have a vet close by ask them if they will treat a duck or know anything about them, maybe some vets that treat farm animals will have some knowledge or can look it up on how to treat. How is she acting this afternoon, and I just came in and found a message from a BYC member I had asked her about what antibiotic would be used for this she rec. Tylan 200 it can be bought at feed stores.

I am hopefully taking her to the vet tomorrow. I need to call and ask if the doctor is even going to be there tomorrow. They open at 8:00 in the morning so I will call them then and ask if their avian and exotic pet doctor is in and if he is then me and Quack-Quack are in the car and gone. She is seemingly getting sleepier and mopier by the hour. I fed her some feeder fish and she ate all of them (about 35) but then went right back to sleep in her nest. She had white foam on the corner of her right eye and the other might have but I didn't see because she dunked her head in her water to get the fish and it washed away. Other than that, she hasn't eaten but a bite and has been drinking pretty good.
I guess It's time to get the old ducky diaper out again. (most vet don't like being pooped on
wink.png
)

I am praying that the doctor will be there... If he isn't then I just don't know what to do...

She gets worse and worse as the day wears on. I sat in her cage with her and you can see how sad she looks. Her eyes look a lot less healthy than they did a day ago. The feathers around her eyes are wet. Her tail is down instead of having it up and being happy and perky with her tail up. She hasn't preened since this morning. She doesn't even spare the energy to put her nose in her feathers do sleep, instead she just droops it over her chest. She tried to crawl up in my lap to cuddle but needed me to help her because she couldn't pick her legs up enough to get on me.

I don't know what to do. Even if the doctor is in tomorrow, I wonder who much they can help. I started crying just looking at her, who know what will happen if I lose her.

I just have to keep telling myself that she'll be alright. And who knows? Maybe she will pull through.
fl.gif

My prayers on her tonight. I am sure I won't be able to sleep tonight anyways.

She gets worse and worse as the day wears on. I sat in her cage with her and you can see how sad she looks. Her eyes look a lot less healthy than they did a day ago. The feathers around her eyes are wet. Her tail is down instead of having it up and being happy and perky with her tail up. She hasn't preened since this morning. She doesn't even spare the energy to put her nose in her feathers do sleep, instead she just droops it over her chest. She tried to crawl up in my lap to cuddle but needed me to help her because she couldn't pick her legs up enough to get on me.

I don't know what to do. Even if the doctor is in tomorrow, I wonder who much they can help. I started crying just looking at her, who know what will happen if I lose her.

I just have to keep telling myself that she'll be alright. And who knows? Maybe she will pull through.
fl.gif

My prayers on her tonight. I am sure I won't be able to sleep tonight anyways.
This is so heart breaking when we can't do more than offer support and what advise we can give. If they can't see her tomorrow get the Tylan 200 and start giving it to her. I'm praying too.

I don't have ducks and I admit that I know nothing about them. But it sounds so much like what happened last week to my chickens. It was Coccidiosis. Do ducks get that?

Well, of the 3 I lost, 1 was a rooster, 1 was a baby, and the other was just about old enough to lay but hadn't started yet. So I can't answer that.

But before you flip out because I lost them...2 others were sick too but for them I caught it in time. & now they're fine.

My big roo was heartbreaking because it seemed like he was perking up. I wish I would have held him and force fed him the Corid. He was so dehydrated! Just didn't have the energy to drink anything.

Back
Top Bottom