**URGENT**Town & complaints about my roo, They said no to permit, help

shay20

Shay's Flock of Fun
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
in the wild, Mass
Ok, I did not think i would have to go through this. But i live on a commercail property, i rent from a landlord, landlord lives on same property, he also has chikcens and roosters.
He went to the town hall to get a permit to fix his roof,
and the guy said to him oh, i went to your house a few times becouse there was a couple of complaint about roosters and turkeys by the neighbors.

My landlord says, turkeys? wild turkeys come in the yard but they are not mine. so then he said ok drop that one.
But now he says that we have to apply for permits, one for hens and one for roosters. i said can we keep the roosters until thepermit goes through, my landlord said that they said no we that if there is one more complaint in the meantime, he will bring us a notice and fine us $100.00 per day until we get rid of them.
I found on the internet that my town has a farm by law thing.

I live in leicester mass, please any advice that can help us out would be great,
I dont want to get rid of my roos, one for production and 2 my most important reason for shows.

They are my hobby, they are my pets, i love them. i need help .

Oh and the neighbors so far apart, i acnt see them bothering any of them.

Last edited:
Please any advice? I need to find out what i can do. I dont whant to get rid of my roosters, they are for my showing and breeding. i dont harm any of them.

Check out my web, they are my show roosters, PLEASE HELP ME!!!
hit.gif

Im trying to find out if i can keep my roosters and hens they are also my show and breeding PETS , while the permit is in progress.

Perhaps the thing to do would be to find someone who lives outside of town to keep your roosters until then, and have your landlord do the same. that way there can't be any complaints until you're passed.

If your neighbor who complains finds out it only takes one more time, they'll be all over it. If they are gone, he/she can't set you up.

Best of luck.

I would have the guy show you the city/county ordinance, or do your own research. Most of the time city's are against large operations, not small flocks that are pet's. Also contact the Chicken Whisper in Atlanta, GA, he has beat many of city ordinances regarding chickens, just google him, he has his own forum.
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

Ok , I went to the town hall today. I think it went ok.
The gentalman told me that if, and thats IF he gets another complaint then he has to fine us $100.00 a day. but he threw us a hint, and i talk to the board of health and she told me that she has not gotten any compaints about our addres at all, so they can not do anything to us, i guess its too seperated catorgorys (hens and then roosters), board of health deals with the inspection of roosters, so she said just go talk to neighbors try to work something out with them,

So I did, so far i talk to 2, they agree on, I put my roosters in my garage at night and try to keep them quiet, and out for a couple hours during the day, and we will see what happens, but they agreed on calling me instead of going to the town hall if they still hear them at night so i can fix the promblems instead of them comeing and fineing me.

And now i still have 2 more neighbors to talk to.

Thats all untill i get my permits. but still cant be a noise polution though.

Probably don't want to hear this but Roosters don't go well in the city. Not being mean but maybe it would be possible to just stick with hens? If not, good luck cause you can't really keep a rooster from crowing. Best of luck to you.
smile.png

Im not in the city, well its called a town, but there are plant farms on each side of me. and woods in the back, we are on like 5 acres of land.

Back
Top Bottom