URGENT Very URGENT : Is he savable?

Capron09

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Hey Guys! We own a few hens and are new to pet chickens so we dont know much about there anatomy other than what you see on your dinner plate. We found this rooster this morning on the side of the road injured. Hubby took him home and doused him with flour as he was bleeding. after a few hours we gave him a light spray with the house an uncovered what looks like a wrotten chicken. I mean I have never seen anything like it. Is he burned, attacked, what? hes just all feathers and bones. Doesnt look like he has any meat in that part of his body. Injuries look old (a few days) with maybe constant night attacks? I dont know but hes survived this long so if he is savable I woudl like to try. I dont really want to touch him as i have no idea what he has going on under there but I did cover him in peroxide before the flour. Then for a bath i gave him my dogs tea tree shampoo for irritated skin. i dont know if it helped in any way the way he looks. shoulod I put him out of his misery? What do you all think? He also has a broken leg but thats the least of his worries I think. There was a fire in the neighborhood they said it was arson. I wonder if this bird coudl have been burned? Or is it dried blood. I can't tell.

I highly recommend that you cull him. It's quality of life issue. Roosters dont do well with broken legs, much less the other unknown injuries he has. Also keep biosecurity in mind with your other birds.

The black on it looks like eshar - dead tissue. Which really needs to come off in order to allow healing to begin. And it's likely to be pretty painful, especially when you get tissue regrowing. If there is muscle/ligament/tendon involvement, there may be other issues. This is going to be a long, involved process and may not be something you really want to tackle - just depends on how much work and possibly even money you want to put into this chicken. Unless you have medical/veterinary training, I recommend that you see a veterinarian if you want to try to work with this bird.

The black on it looks like eshar - dead tissue. Which really needs to come off in order to allow healing to begin. And it's likely to be pretty painful, especially when you get tissue regrowing. If there is muscle/ligament/tendon involvement, there may be other issues. This is going to be a long, involved process and may not be something you really want to tackle - just depends on how much work and possibly even money you want to put into this chicken. Unless you have medical/veterinary training, I recommend that you see a veterinarian if you want to try to work with this bird.

x2. This is a terrible injury, probably the skin was badly burned or torn, and this is the dried aftermath. You could nurse him, but it would take a pretty big commitment.
Have you tried bathing him at all? It would be interesting tosee if it is superficial or deep/ That would really give you and idea of what kind of recuperation would be
needed. Good luck!

I agree... imagine if you had a wound like that on your body. Chickens are pretty tough and can recover from a lot... but... the chances of that with such a severe injury... just arnt so good.

if it were me I would take him to a vet... but then again... I'm weird because I WOULD do that. Most would just cull him.

Thank you everyone. we were just in a severe auto accident a few days ago. we were T-boned so our ability to really do strenous work has been limited a great deal. I dont mind saving the bird if I can. We have Bob Cats and Panthers out here. I think one of them goty him. One got 3 of my chickens. pulled there heads off right through the wire cages. Caught them peaking out and poppped off there heads! I have washed him the best I can and that is what he looks like. almost looks like he has a whole flap of skin there that has been flapped back. He smells rotten I think unless its the garbage can my hubby used to transport him home. This fells seems so sweet too. He really knows we are trying to help and has not attacked us once after all he has been through.

I wish I hadn't read lucky's story! Now I feel bad! I know you were only trying to help! Maybe I will call the vet tomorrow and see if he would do a charity case and at least advise me as to whats going on. He a good ol' doc. Probably grew up on a farm and understands this kind of stuff.

Thanks!

Your new little roo is in my prayers
fl.gif

You should not use tea tree oil on his open wounds - it is ok for topical use (like your dog bath) but is very irritating to flesh. Would you plan to keep him and integrate him into your flock if he lives? If not, I wouldn't expend the vast amounts of effort it will take to save this boy.

Back
Top Bottom