URGENT

Knelvin

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2020
My hen was attacked by a predator of some sort. I don’t know what kind. I’m out of town and can’t fully examine her injuries. I don’t know if there are any deep punctures. She is eating and drinking a little. What should the person who has her do to prevent infection? No vets around for chickens. Thank you

Attachments

• B61BE637-D54B-4440-8EEF-34D4A4107229.jpeg
    B61BE637-D54B-4440-8EEF-34D4A4107229.jpeg
    599.3 KB · Views: 23
There could be some puncture wounds from fangs. Hopefully there is no internal damage. Try to get some disinfectant that can be sprayed onto the wound. 2% chlorhexidene is good and may be gound at feed stores. Hibiclens from drugstores is 4% and can be mixed with water. Then put plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment onto the wounds until they are healed. A wire dog crate with food and water, with a clean towel for bedding would be a good way to keep her. Leave the wound open. The dog crate could be in the chicken coop near the other chickens to keep her part of the flock.

My hen was attacked by a predator of some sort. I don’t know what kind. I’m out of town and can’t fully examine her injuries. I don’t know if there are any deep punctures. She is eating and drinking a little. What should the person who has her do to prevent infection? No vets around for chickens. Thank you
Inspect her really well for other wounds that may be hidden under the feathers, especially around the vent.
I would flush the wound with saline, chlorhexidine or if you don't have that, some warm soapy water (rinse well). Apply triple antibiotic ointment or something like Vetericyn. The feathers around the wound can be trimmed to help keep the wound cleaner and it's easier to see.

From what I can tell in the photo she lost some skin and feathers. Keeping the wound clean and moist with ointment a couple of times a day, generally a bird will heal o.k. and not need antibiotics. It takes some time.
If you feel you need antibiotics, then Amoxicillin would be a good choice. You can order those online dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-14 days. https://www.jedds.com/shop/fishmox/

For this type of injury, I would keep her separated so the other birds don't pick at it. Leave uncovered unless she really picks at her wound. Depending on where you keep her, if it's cold, then drying her well after rinsing/flushing the wound is important so she doesn't get chilled.

See that she's drinking well and offer her normal feed.

There could be some puncture wounds from fangs. Hopefully there is no internal damage. Try to get some disinfectant that can be sprayed onto the wound. 2% chlorhexidene is good and may be gound at feed stores. Hibiclens from drugstores is 4% and can be mixed with water. Then put plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment onto the wounds until they are healed. A wire dog crate with food and water, with a clean towel for bedding would be a good way to keep her. Leave the wound open. The dog crate could be in the chicken coop near the other chickens to keep her part of the flock.
Thank you!

Inspect her really well for other wounds that may be hidden under the feathers, especially around the vent.
I would flush the wound with saline, chlorhexidine or if you don't have that, some warm soapy water (rinse well). Apply triple antibiotic ointment or something like Vetericyn. The feathers around the wound can be trimmed to help keep the wound cleaner and it's easier to see.

From what I can tell in the photo she lost some skin and feathers. Keeping the wound clean and moist with ointment a couple of times a day, generally a bird will heal o.k. and not need antibiotics. It takes some time.
If you feel you need antibiotics, then Amoxicillin would be a good choice. You can order those online dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-14 days. https://www.jedds.com/shop/fishmox/

For this type of injury, I would keep her separated so the other birds don't pick at it. Leave uncovered unless she really picks at her wound. Depending on where you keep her, if it's cold, then drying her well after rinsing/flushing the wound is important so she doesn't get chilled.

See that she's drinking well and offer her normal feed.
Thank you!

I agree with the other posts. I realize you are away but whoever is caring for your birds can clean the area with hydrogen peroxide first then put something like neosporin triple antibiotic ointment on her wounds and put her some place where she can be cared for and where she can heal and have access to food and water. Good luck...

I agree with the other posts. I realize you are away but whoever is caring for your birds can clean the area with hydrogen peroxide first then put something like neosporin triple antibiotic ointment on her wounds and put her some place where she can be cared for and where she can heal and have access to food and water. Good luck...
Only the first cleaning should be hydrogen peroxide (which I know you know @cmon but idk if OP does). It's a very effective cleaner to get out whatever icky is in there, but it's too harsh for maintenance.

Only the first cleaning should be hydrogen peroxide (which I know you know @cmon but idk if OP does). It's a very effective cleaner to get out whatever icky is in there, but it's too harsh for maintenance.
No Hydrogen P overdries the skin. Use a mild saline rinse or just an anti-bacterial spray...and separate her from other curious critters.

Honestly, with a wound that large I wouldn't even use it. IT would hurt SO BAD, and can inhibit re-growth of the skin to a slight extent.

I've treated several wounds to this degree: Liberally spray the wound with a wound cleaning solution (doesn't have to be for animals, just get some from any pharmacy), get some NON-STICK trauma pads and put against the wounds, and wrap her body securely, but not too tight, with Vet wrap or the human equivalent (https://www.chewy.com/3m-vetrap-hor...MI0LfKju6d7QIVAYzICh16dA3MEAQYAiABEgLb-vD_BwE), if at all possible. Chickens are funny-shaped creatures, so you can't always wrap them. If you can't wrap them, liberally coat the wound with an antibiotic ointment that doesn't contain pain-relief. This will help keep the wound moist.

It is critical that the wound is kept MOIST, or you will radically increase her healing time, and increase the chance of scarring, which could inhibit her ability to re-grow feathers.

This wound looks bad, but if properly treated should heal just fine in 6-8 weeks, although feather regrowth could take longer.

So I personally dont use hydrogen peroxide but i know it is a valuable tool so I wasnt going to argue against it without better knowledge... I just didnt want OP to use it more than once if they use it at all.

I mostly use betadine.

Back
Top Bottom