Urget...ducklings that hatched weird...pics added...graphic...

duck&chickencrazy

Songster
11 Years
Dec 2, 2008
Indiana
Ok i have 2 ducklings hatching right now and these guys were due on thursday and i saw that they had pipped on sunday and on the wrong end...i helped them zip just a few mins ago and i made a very sad discovery....they both seem to have something hanging from their abdomen and it dosnt seem to be obsorbing into the body...i dont know what to do...so far i have gotten warm wash cloths and wrapped them in them...the one look like it might die soon...i dont know...ANY HELP WOULD BE REALLY NICE!!!! PLEASE!!!

I will try to post a pic tomorrow

the thing on them is veining and it looks really weird

these eggs were experimental eggs from the fridge i posted another topic on here about it and here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=152590

Last edited:
It sounds like the yolk sac isn't all the way absorbed. It may take time. A photo will help so post one when you get a chance.

Here are some pics of the chick with the thing on its abdomen

19331_dscn2351.jpg

19331_dscn2352.jpg

19331_dscn2353.jpg

19331_dscn2354.jpg

It pipped too early! The sac may not be absorbing because it is too dry. Try wetting it and keeping it moist by wrapping it with something.
Good luck!

Last edited:
I agree. I think it needs to be moist. I have heard of people wrapping the bottom in saran wrap like a diaper and keeping it moist.

No offense, but this is exactly why you shouldn't help a chick, duck, whatever, to hatch. That is the yolk sac, and the baby absorbs the yolk sac the most while they are struggling to get out of the shell. If you help them hatch they don't absorb the yolk during their struggle.

Like others have said, keep it moist and wrapped up, so it doesn't get caught. It can and will pull the baby's guts out of its belly. Some have used a sock suspended above the floor of the brooder to keep chicks like this in. It keeps them from trying to walk around so much.

Good luck, I hope your babies make it.

the only reason i helped this duckling was because i only NOTICED that it had pipped on sunday but my guess is that it pipped on saturday, or early sunday because when i saw it the membrane and blood vessels were dry and it was stuck to the duckling and even then i waited till monday...if i hadnt helped them out they would have died in the shell...they were both stuck...

the one is healthy and living with my other hatchlings right now instead of being dead...which he would have been if i had not helped him...

i have helped out ducklings/chicks before but only when it is needed...and all have lived and are healthy and alive right now...

i know some people say you shouldnt help if the baby has not hatched and that you should just let nature takes it course...but they are not being naturally incubated so why not continue helping them out...and we can help...so why not...

Because what i dont understand is how people can just sit there and watch the babys die if they cant get out...they could easily just help them out and that person would have a baby...

But i do understand that i should not help out if there is blood and such...i did wait until there was no blood and the membrane was dry and stuck to the baby...i always wait and let them try to hatch on their own...

Back
Top Bottom