US Crele and White Sport Legbar Breeders - Alternative Legbar Group, for those not breeding to the P

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by KendyF, May 12, 2015.

1. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    I'll answer if that's ok, since I've been around a while. Good question. The name you mentioned was brought up. But we did not create the Cream Legbar, it was imported, and after advice from our APA mentor and MUCH discussion we decided to pursue as close to the original standardized bird as possible. We had the cream variety and it's history is somewhat monumental in the genetics world, so that is where we're starting. Because judges from the UK will be coming to help judge our qualifiers this will help us immensely in our quest to have the breed recognized by the APA. Plus we had to start with one variety, then others can follow easier. The breed is Legbar, as it is in the UK. The varieties can be whatever name is decided on by the group developing the color set. If you are interested in pursuing a more colorful variety, welcome! I hope to see multiple Legbar varieties in the future. They are all beautiful and so useful with the Autosexing feature! Plus we know we love those blue eggs! Btw, you may find that your birds are not so far off as you might have thought in the color department, and type is much more important than color. Best wishes!

2 people like this.
  2. KendyF

KendyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    I am curious if the bird pictured in your avatar is from your flock? Because despite what you have heard elsewhere, if that is one of your birds I don't think it is that far off. Please post your birds here, you will not be attacked. Most of us want to see the breed more forward more than we want to fight about color. I too had some really nasty comments on my birds, but when I got to know the people working on the breed, I felt much better.

2 people like this.
  3. Texas4T

Texas4T Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2015
    Texas
    Thank you very much for your explanations. I appreciate you taking the time. I will try to get some good pics today and post them here. Weather permitting. :)

4. Junibutt

Junibutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Chicago
    Anyone here breeding the White Sport? I have an 8 weeks old trio from the same parents so would like to get a similar aged cockerel or a pair for genetic diversity. I have been told it wouldn't matter much because it's the same gene pool coming from GFF flock but still want to try.

I have more White Sport chicks hatching June 6th if someone is interested. Please PM me.

1 person likes this.
  5. sol2go

sol2go Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2012
    Coastal California
    I have a new breeding trio (reasonably unrelated to each other) that have started popping out white sports. I can offer hatching eggs...

I was away from the thread for a bit, glad to see new posts.

6. Junibutt

Junibutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Chicago
    Thanks, I will keep in mind for my next hatch. I think I am done for spring and summer but you never know when chicken-fever gets you! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  7. Frenchcuffs13

Frenchcuffs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2015
    Subscribed to this thread. I find it fascinating how genes work and the appearance of sports. Personally, I think colors other than cream are just as, if not prettier! I hope this thread gets going and others join in.
    BTW, I used to show cat & horses- most breeds allow for certain colors, not just one. I'd hate to see legabrs go down as a one color only breed (boring!) [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. KendyF

KendyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Not only do we need your voices on this thread, we need your voices in the Cream Legbar Club. I love my colored flock, and will not breed them to be strictly white and gray. I think the main issue, is What is Cream?

9. sol2go

sol2go Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2012
    Coastal California
    Maybe the more interesting question is "what is not cream" ?!
    And that is the joy of this thread. Go out and explore. Maximize your sunny flock.
    The Cream Legbar Club is not an adversary. There are those who are trying to breed to the Cream SOP, and also support a more colorful flock, independent of the Cream SOP. It's all about what we have to work with, and it all came from the same starting point.
    I think of it like a prism. The Creams are "white" light, and the Creles are that white light refracted into a more colorful spectrum.

Well, chicken chores are calling my name...

4 people like this.
  10. Frenchcuffs13

Frenchcuffs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2015
    It seems everyone's perception of color is a bit different. That's why the egg charts are handy. Maybe we need a feather color chart [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by