US Crele and White Sport Legbar Breeders - Alternative Legbar Group, for those not breeding to the P

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by KendyF, May 12, 2015.

1. KendyF

KendyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Well, I am not sure if Cream is an official color. Like when you say Silver in any breed, you know what to picture. Cream? Not so much. Silver Laced Wyandottes... You know what to picture.. Silver Spangled Hamburgs... You know what to picture. So Cream.... Why would it present the same as Silver?

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    If you took the barring away from the cream birds, you would have something that looks like a cream light brown that is found in Dutch bantams which have been around for a while. Barring dilutes everything further as well which makes them look lighter.

1 person likes this.
  3. KendyF

Jun 18, 2014
    Interesting! Thanks FMP

4. sol2go

sol2go Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2012
    Coastal California
    That's an interesting way to put it. I hadn't really thought of it in that order: first the cream dilutes the gold, and then the double barring kicks some more color out of the cream… which also relates to why the single barred cream hens are a touch more colorful than the double barred roosters?

Since it has come up from time to time, I do generalize when I refer to the Creams as monochromatic or "white". They are clearly not just black and white or grey and white, and I enjoy looking at the flecks of color in the roosters hackle and saddle feathers.

But it is more visible up close than it is from across a room or the yard, which is why I think of the Creams as monochromatic compared to the more saturated colors of the non-cream Creles. btw - it is May Gray / June Gloom time on the coast and the "sunny" colors do stand out =)

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. KendyF

Jun 18, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Nothing important to say about this, just captured a couple of hens enjoying summer. This picture actually makes them look a little darker than they are. Two 1 year old hens drinking in the shade on a hot day! Side Note: I would like my Crests to have more contrast, because the crests blend so well, it is hard to capture in pictures.

6. sol2go

Sep 27, 2012
    Coastal California
    Your crest comment is interesting. I always thought the dark crests would be a good fit for the Crele version. Do you have a different thought?

Happy chickens and grass looks like winter to me =) A clear sign of summer is the grass turns brown around here; with the drought there's not even enough water to perk it up…I know there can be too much of a good thing, sorry for all the troubles in Texas and Oklahoma...

ps do their legs look yellow in person?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  7. KendyF

Jun 18, 2014
    I think the shading I put on the picture made their legs look blue. They are not blue at all, but nor are they are not a great color of yellow, more like a Buff Orpingtons legs.

8. KendyF

Jun 18, 2014
    This hen actually has a pretty large crest, but it gets lost... You can't see it unless you are sitting right next to her, and it is very difficult to capture in a photo. I will download the photo with out any edits and post it later. It's on my cloud. ;) Never thought I would say that. :)

9. sol2go

Sep 27, 2012
    Coastal California
    another element under "construction" =)

10. Bean789

Bean789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Spring Hill, FL
    I would be interested in hatching eggs from White Sports, if indeed that is what I am understanding they are. I have 3 F1 Sulmtaler X CCL and one of them is almost pure white...or very light creamy white, no crest so far and only 9 weeks old. I thought maybe the Sulmtaler caused the color but have recently read where it was the CCL who was the culprint. LOL

I just read where someone hatched out some whites, and they have crests. Hmm....

I am looking for a couple of white legbar chicks to breed him/her or to my 1 GFF C female or 1 Rees line female.

If these chicks are not an actual white, then I am misunderstanding the color discussed here.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by