US Crele and White Sport Legbar Breeders - Alternative Legbar Group, for those not breeding to the P

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by KendyF, May 12, 2015.

1. KendyF

KendyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    So painfully true! :) Good thing it is a labor of love.

My next generation is starting to look a bit different...
    [​IMG]
    His comb will probably go wonky, but he has the beginnings of a nice but compact little crest. Too early to say if it is good or bad, but these two have a little different color, crest and comb than my previous chicks at this age. I know they will still do a lot of changing, but it is interesting to watch them "grow out".
    I am considering a time consuming project of a picture a week on my chicks. My last hatch I had three distinctive colors of pullets, light, medium and very dark, I noticed the darker the middle of the chipmunk pattern was, the whiter the stripes were. It would be fun to take pictures of the three every week and look for differences in how they "grow out" if there are any.

2. sol2go

sol2go Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2012
    Coastal California
    The white sport CL's are all white.

Here's 2 pics of pullet from another breeder.
    She is with her 2 sisters in the first picture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a cockerel I hatched, not directly related to the pullet above.
    He is the one with the yellow/white down; not the pullet next to him at the bottom of the pic.
    [​IMG]
    I don't have a recent picture of him, but he looks very much like the white pullet in the first photos.

The main point I would like to make is while they look yellow when they only have down, they feather in completely white. The white is bright white, not cream, even if they are probably double for cream. The recessive white controls what is expressed/not expressed in the feather color/pattern.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  3. sol2go

Sep 27, 2012
    Coastal California
    I think quite a few people are interested in the down colors and how they grow out. People seem to see specific trends within their flocks, as well as common trends shared by others.

Here's a broad range of down colors I have posted before,
    of 2 pullets, on the left, and a cockerel on the right. :
    [​IMG]

I would not say the colors are specific to gender, but there are differences between genders.
    Here are siblings that I matched up based on color:

cockerel and pullet, showing more red/gold
    [​IMG]

cockerel and pullet I would consider more creamy
    [​IMG]

All four are siblings.

The sisters are also in the first pic, but that cockerel is from a different breeding group.
    The down pictures are a good predictor so far of the girls appearance; one is distinctly more red/gold.

At this point I can't say which of the 3 roos (2 brothers, one not) will have more or less chestnut etc. But the two brothers are difficult to tell apart at about 6 weeks.

The darker cockerel from the first picture is what I used to hatch all the time. Now that I've expanded my stock (none are Rees) I am seeing more of the lighter cockerels, so I am looking for correlations to cream, or chestnut, etc.

I think @KendyF posted a question about chick down (in another thread?), maybe you will bring that here and do some follow up pics?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. KendyF

Jun 18, 2014
    Wow those are great pictures of the variety of color in very young chicks! Interesting. My question on another thread was regarding slightly older chicks. Here it goes again...
    [​IMG]
    On FB, a gentleman said he thought the Roo would have too much color, which I am sure that is true by that group's standards, I was having a hard time "seeing" what gives that away at this age? Anyone?

5. sol2go

Sep 27, 2012
    Coastal California
    I may not have the eye for that at this stage, perhaps someone else has distinctive tells. Hope you'll share his development =)

6. Junibutt

Junibutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Chicago
    I will probably have some white chicks hatching next week but cannot just ship 1 or 2, and yes my white chicks do have crests (although one can never guarantee). I can ship them with some other Legbar chicks from the same trio that produces white chicks. If you are interested, you can PM me.

7. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    At this age I don't see any indicators yet that he will have too much color. You can usually start to notice some excess or bright colors start to come in around 9weeks of age ish. Only time will tell, in my opinion. Did the person give you a reason why he thought he was going to be colorful?

8. KendyF

Jun 18, 2014
    No, I asked. He did not respond. They really like 'em light in that group. So, I was curious, if he just thought the little guy has too much barring or if I was missing something else. I have a roo a little bit older who is showing some chestnut already. This guy is at the stage where he is just barred.

9. Bean789

Bean789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Spring Hill, FL
    I have read this entire thread thus far and still have a question on the males. I have 6 CCL roos, Jill Rees lines, purchased at auction from GFF. They are approximately 4 weeks old at this point. Their heads have differing colors with 1 showing an almost totally slightly barred creamy head while the others darken to the rather dark shades with 2 of them having the 'grey/black' barring on their heads. If I were to assess these birds for future coloring in trying to keep the one that will maybe/possibly produce the White Sport chicks when mated with either a GFF a hen or a Jill Rees line hen, which one should I keep? The others are going to new homes tomorrow. The females in my group of pullets are differing in colors as well with the darker one from GFF C line. I may have stated that she was from the A line in a prior posting here but was mistaken. Can't go back and look at this point or I will lose what typed here and my train of thought. LOL

10. Junibutt

Junibutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Chicago
    You can always edit your post if you want:)

As far as I know, Jill Rees line does not have the White Sport gene. Only line A or B had them. Someone correct me if I am wrong!
    So if you are going to cross a Jill Rees roo with a line C Legbar, your chances of getting a White Sport will be zero.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by